I'm losing the varigation..

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

On my bouganvilla,is there someway to bring the plant back,half is still varigated but all the new half is not?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/V/Variegation.htm

Chimeral variegation

Plants bearing such variegation are chimeras, with more than one type of genetic makeup in their tissues. A lack of chlorophyll producing tissue in some tissues causes variegation with white or yellow coloured zones on the leaf, contrasting with the usual green tissue. It is due to some of the plant’s meristematic tissue losing the ability to produce chloroplasts, so that the tissue it produces is no longer green.

There are several types of such variegation, depending on the tissues that have been affected. The variegation in some forms is unstable. The extent and nature of the variegation can vary, and sometimes the plant will return to the green form. In others it is stable and does not change under normal conditions.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,very,very good info there!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

No problem....I just love Google :-)
Actually after reading your post it got me thinking I hadn't done any research inot why one of my Hebes was growing solid green new growth in various areas......and now I know.

RikerBear

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Guess I need to get all google eyed!!!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I have a Hebe doing the same thing. I have always been told to cut off the solid green branches in order to preserve the variegation.

By the way, Don, how are your new Passifloras doing? Have they recovered?

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Clare,yep there all still alive and doing well,so far knock on wood!!!
What is that?So pretty!!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

That's the one Clare...just the same as my Hebe.
Think I'll go clip the green out....soon as it stops raining that is.

Rikerbear, I have to do that too.

Don, it's called a Hebe. I'm so glad that your Passifloras are all doing well. They should put on a lot of growth this summer, and hopefully you'll have flowers as well.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Tropicman...

Interestingly, Hebe is pronounced "Hee-bee". That's the Genus name. They are shrubs in the Figwort Family (Scrophulariaceae). Originally New Zealand natives.

http://www.hebesoc.vispa.com/

My husband calls it Hebe Jeebee:-)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I first found Hebes while looking for the appropriate plant to bury our beloved parrot under. Decided on this one pictured above becouse it had all of 'Walter's' colors (once in bloom).

Sorry for the hi-jack Tropicman :-)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Are these heebee's a succulent?
The leaves in the pic look thick and somewhat waxy.
I have a varigated Devils tongue,or think thats what they call it.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

No, not a succulent...does look like one in many pictures that I've seen.
They do have very thick heavy leaves like a jade...sort of.

I'll get a better picture tomorrow with better resolution. Yes, thick leaves but not succulentlike.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So long as you don't lose *that loving feeling* I think you will be alright. LOL

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've had that happen to a variegated porcelain vine, and a variegated mint. Both reverted to just plain green...
-seedpicker_TX

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Same here the more the porcelain vines grows it loses its varigation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.