Wild Hydrangea

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm told these are native hydrangea... and will willingly be corrected if anyone knows for sure! They are just filling out now and are all over the understory of the woods around here.

Thumbnail by darius

Here's a close-up.

Thumbnail by darius
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

I like this kind of Hydrangea than H. macrophylla:) The leaves are soft and flowers are so cute. I took this photo in a local wild plants shop. Hydrangea hirta.

Thumbnail by goldenfish

Thanks, goldenfish. These all seem to be white, and I'm anxious for them to fully open.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Darius these are beautiful. They do indeed look like hydrangeas to me. If you have access to any small ones or cuttings I would love to have a couple. Maybe we could trade. I have various hydrangeas and some rooting right now. Thanks, Jenny

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Darius,
This looks like it could be Hydrangea arborescens. It is common in my area of Southeast Missouri and my native plant book says it is native pretty much throughout the eastern U.S.

Goldenfish, I like the lacecaps better than the mopheads, too.
Susan

sh1025... I'm away (from home and my own computer) until after July 4th. Send me an email so I remember you want one for postage, okay?

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Darius, thanks so much. I sent you an email. No rush, just when you get a chance. Jenny

Jenny, please send me an email again, with an address. I've lost some of my mail. I'm thinking to send a small dug plant in September. Need zip to get postage.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Darius, you have mail. Thanks, Jenny

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Lovely! How I envy you your walks in the Carolina woods :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.