Totally DUH? Question here

Okay, new to orchids, sort of. When I get a new plant (species no experience with, must keep one alive for one year before acquiring any more! That's THE RULE). So my phal was one year this Valentines, free to get more immediatly after. Became aquainted with this Philipeno friend (who unblushingly states that 'reed stem' orchids are a race related trait/habit).

Well, she brought me two new plants for Mother's Day. And having all of them lumped to gether, when moving them to water the bloom umbrels of these epidendrum orchids flop together. The next thing I know, one of the blooms is NOT dropping and getting FAT to boot!

So, my real question is; is there any such thing as orchid seeds? This really looks like a seed 'pod' forming, but I have no experience what to expect or even what to do. The bloom is still attatched to the bottom of this odd looking thing...

Whatcha think? Now, I know that plants form seed, even when not pollinated (some) that are non-viable. Is this one of those things, if it IS seed, I'll have to plant it to know?

TIA
Cena

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Orchids DO make seed pods (and it sounds as though yours is making a seed pod), but they require sowing in a laboratory under sterile conditions in an agar solution and several years growing in a glass flask before they are ready for life on the windowsill. At one time I thought I might like to try this too, but found that this is best left to the professionals!

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i really dont know if they would be viable,but i saw one guy on tv starting his in mashed banana.
the flasks are stoppered and steril.it seemed very technical.but,hey,wouldnt hurt to try.
congrats on the seed pod.

Melbourne, FL(Zone 9a)

My advice to anyone wanting to grow orchids, and do not know anything about them, is to purchase an informative booklet on orchids at your plant nursery. Sunset and Orthene are just two books available. Next to the many kinds of grasses, orchids are next with so many varieties!! I used to have 2,000 orchids of all kinds when I lived in S. Fla. I had 2 orchid houses in my yard. I had many books on the subject, but only a few now. I belong to the American Orchid Society, which puts out a wonderful book each month. Also, in your area, you can usually find an orchid society. You would learn all you need to know here and make friends. People bring their plants in for show and they have little auctions. They usually have a guest speaker from one of the professional growers who will answer your questions, show slides and show you how to pot up orchids. It's a great club. They even raffle off plants, and the club takes tours of the professional growers by bus, which is very much fun. Try it, you'll love it. In the meantime, if I can be of any help to you, please get in touch with me, and I will try to help you, or direct you to help. Also, try this link: Linda's Orchids.com.

Pernis RT, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

Hi,

I've sown orchids from seeds and although it's a lot more work then any other plant I've started, it can be done.
My seeds came up and I took them (Encyclia giesbreghtiana and Epidendrum marmoratum) from their mother-flask last week and put them in their replate flask. After they've outgrown this flask they should be ready for planting in a community pot (fingers crossed).
Everything you do with these seeds must happen under totally sterile conditions. You can do this very cheaply by making a glove-box out of a cardboard box.

Okay, just recent reading convinced me I do NOT have the personal fortitude for this task... so who wants unnamed epidendrum orchid seed?

Cena

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.