Who Are You???

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, my irises are finishing with their last blooms & I must say I've had a couple of surprises. I won't count Walker (puppy) rearranging the plant stakes--those are all sorted out again! But, have you ever bought one from a reputable source & got & got a totally different one???

I bought Champagne Elegance....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

And this one came up in the same clump!

I thought I purchased Michigan Pride...

And this one is blooming instead!

Kingsley, IA

I have had that same problem, speaking of puppies rearranging my stacks for me...lol. And I normally get what I purchase it's just they like to send gift irises and with stakes flying everywhere < big grin of frustration that dogs will be dogs > it has me more messed up then ever. I tell them DONT SEND ME GIFT IRISES now due to I really dont want something I didnt ask for or wanted anyhow. I know you all are thinking I am nuts but I'd rather be a little nuts in the beginning and being nuts and confusioned at the end....lol.

This year I havent done much purchasing, I did however get some from SnowPeak for a first time. Eager to see the following next spring. "Private First Class", "Hoodlum", "In The Mist", a historical MTB "Cutie" and a very very very old, about 1500, "Orris Root". I also ordered another "Maria Toremnia" since she didnt come up very good from the earlier then should be move last year... I love this blended girl alot !!

Oooh! OOOh! Show me the pics.... Drool....

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Wanda, I got the irises already. Fast moving! Do you have a picture of the one labeled Thais Orchid? or do you know where I can find one?
I had to edit this because i am so embarressed. I found another bag of iris rhizomes in the box that I missed and the package of beautiful iris greeting cards that you made. They are beautiful and I DO use cards a lot. The pix are wonderful.
I got 3 kinds but it's a little hard to read the names. One is Inspiration, one is Thai Orchid and the 3rd is Full ??? (Tide?)
I can't thank you enough....

This message was edited Jun 11, 2004 8:26 PM

Sending you an email. By the time I got done digging & shipping the iris, I was BEAT!

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, I don't know what the second one is but I love that color! The lambs ears in the background really sets it off! Love It! ( : Bev : )

I'm sure it's Mary Frances. I thought I bought 2 colors of iris that day Mary frances & Champagne Elegance" --I guess people switched the tags.

I love the soft floppy look of Lambs Ears. It's the one plant all the neighbor kids & my DH can recognize--it looks like it's name!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I think most mix-ups are the same problem as I have. As the plants grow, they tend to get over into other areas and get dug up with them. If you are going to try to keep track of your iris, you have to plant them pretty far apart so they don't mix before you dig and divide, supposedly every 3 years. I'm lucky to get around to it every 5 years....

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Wanda, yes...again, I thank you a million times over for the fantastic box of iris you sent. And a BIG "me too!" for the cards. ALL the pictures are wonderful (...can't wait to see if my garden will *ever* look as nice as yours. :-)).

As for the irises you sent, I sure hope they like their box cuz our weather is unrelenting RAIN for the past week. (Hmmm, I'm thinking "containers" as a holding spot them until the beds dry up enough to dig. :-D)

I was wondering about the Orchid Thais rhizomes, too. I found pics of the others quite easily. I'm SO excited, and I'll gladly wait until the Orchid Thais blooms to get a peek at it!

Thanks, one more time!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Wanda, are you using pics of your iris's for your greeting cards?
I do that with pics. of the lilies that I raise.

Maxine

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

This is a Picture of Thais orchid I got also from Wanda,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Brigitte! :-)
Thanks bunches for the pic. NOW I know what all my wonderful new (first) babies are going to look like.

Wanda, it's a beauty! Maybe tomorrow we *won't* have rain??? (5" in two days here) and *maybe* I can find a moderately *dry* spot to plant them. ;-)

I have to do SOMETHING with the hundreds of photos I take...LOL I have about 300 nice Iris photos waiting to become greeting cards & I've barely started on the dayliles!
I take alot of photos trying to capture the right color--a little tricky sometimes. I can see why photos in catalogs & on the Internet are often wrong!

I plant all my iris in clumps divided by daylilies or other perennials. My only confusion are ones sold or given to me. Once they bloom, I mark & move the mixed up ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.