looking for MDBs and SDBs

Kingsley, IA

Hi all I have been looking around for a few irises in these smaller classes and hard to find "growers" online with what I desire.

What I am looking for is a few in something in all WHITE - no color spot on falls, beards white or light in color ... and something in RED with any beard color. These can be either SDB or MDB.

I am also just looking for some MDBs that are any color other then yellow in shelf or fall.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I have a pure white intermeadiate iris that just got done blooming that I can trade you. It is also a rebloomer. No name as it was given to me by a hybredizer.

What do you have to trade in TB iris?

Maxine

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I have Artic Fury--Intermediate. Large blooms but short plant. Pure white. I'm digging an extra clump tonight.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

I also have Rosemary's Dream. MTB Short with pink & white blooms. Available for trade.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Kingsley, IA

Wanda I allready have Rosemary's Dream, got that one last fall and have not seen it's colors yet. I just started two years ago on named Irises and then replanted then to a new location last fall there is just a few I could split at this time. If any body wants to trade for some Honey Glaze ( can trade many ), June Rose or a ryz. of Sailor or Dark Blizzard. I can trade off some of these old timers, I have four good clumps of Guy Stripes, L. Palida, several of Imperial Gold ( an IB? ) and oh pooh forgot the name of the old gold TB... Berkley's Gold.

I know many would like to trade something for Moonlit Blue but I have to give this one another year to become more abundant.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi iairis, if you ever head north in the next week or so, check out Koekkoek's irises in Sioux Center. I did today, he has about 600 named iris cultivars - all different sizes too.

Kingsley, IA

kooger, wow I didnt even realize there was such a place around the area.... might have to take the hour trip to see what he's got I dont :)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

He's easy to find, Hwy 75 N to the last stoplight in town (Casey's and Hardee's corner) and it's the first house east, on the north side of the street. I did a 'U' ey and then parked in front of the house and knocked on the door. :)

I had to run to the dr. today in S.C. so I stopped in again and brought him one of my geranium seedlings from Ursula's GAF. He was happy to have it and gave me a hosta he had extra of. I took pics of 2 of his unknown geraniums to try to id them for him and did id his unknown lamium in the PDB last night. He was really glad about that!

Darn. Things were too crazy here in May for me to see that Sioux Center Iris place in bloom. :( Maybe next spring...

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I'll be watching for you next spring, Wanda. :)

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

Wanda I would like Rosemary's Dream if you still have them avail?

Cathy

I've got plenty of Rosemary's Dream . Must have had a hundred blooms for two weeks from that clump. email me & I'll see if I can wade out into the squishy yard this weekend.

I found a great place for dwarf iris. Quite a selection with photos of some I've never seen before.

http://www.iristg.com

Handsome selection of Tall Bearded and Border Bearded too.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda,

I just checked out the dwarfs and medians at the link you provided, and there are several that are clearly misidentified. Of the four SDBs and one MDB on their list that I already grow, three are obviously misidentified (checking their catalog descriptions against the AIS registration descriptions), and a fourth is possibly incorrect as well. The fifth *might* be correct. Buyer beware when those sorts of errors are present on a commercial website.

Laurie

Well, no wonder I have ones that bloom the wrong color! And I thought the tags were getting switched or something....

Laurie--More dwarfs--does this one look right to you?

http://www.sprucecorner.com/irispages/SDBirisL-P.htm

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda,

I just checked out your latest link, and the SDBs with which I am familiar appear to be correct. It's a little difficult to tell, though, since their thumbnail pics don't enlarge to full size. At 3 SDBs for $4, it'd be hard to go wrong. THAT'S a great deal!

Laurie

I thought so too! I may take them up on a few....
Whoops! When I went back, it says $3.75 per rhizome. Am I dreaming or did a run on their site quadruple their prices today???

This message was edited Jun 11, 2004 11:10 PM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda,

The Spruce Corner URL has them for 3 for $4. The iristg URL has them for $3.75 each, but that's where the misidentified irises are listed. A great place to buy MDBs and SDBs is Hermit Medlar's Walk at:

http://www.hmwalk.com

I have also purchased wonderful littleuns from Aitken's at:

http://www.flowerfantasy.net

Aitken's also offers a collection of 12 SDBs of their choice for $25, and they were very accommodating to me several years ago when I requested that they include 6 SDBs and 6 MDBs instead of all SDBs.

One more source with a large selection of both MDBs and SDBs is Riverdale Iris here in MN. Tracy doesn't have a website, but you can request her catalog by emailing her at:
riverdaleiris@yahoo.com
Tracy's prices are also about the lowest you'll find.

Laurie

Thank you for your help Laurie. It's always good to know where other gardeners have had good luck.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Here's another source for you, Wanda.

Hadaway Farms http://www.theshop.net/rebel455/sdb.htm sells SDBs *really* inexpensively! Bonnie Hadaway is an AIS judge, so I would feel confident in the accuracy of her stock. She only grows a few MDBs and isn't offering any for sale this year, but the SDBs are sure worth checking out at her prices.

Laurie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

One more source for both MDBs and SDBs - possibly even the *best* source, though I have not yet ordered from them myself - is Willott Iris in Ohio (dwiris@aol.com).

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.