Spiderwarts

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Blue flowers,are hard to find,this plant is not seen very often around here and should be used more in the gardens for the blue flowers.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Tropicman, I just dug up a 5 gallon bucket of those from a field (we just cleared 58 acres for a new pasture) before they were disked under. I didn't know if they would live or not but they are doing just fine. We bought an old home place so I guess they came up after all the burning, dozing and clearing. I like them too and they are so easy to grow. Jenny

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Jenny,
Well that proves how tough of a plant they are!
Mine are about 3ft tall,my neighbor has some but hers are only a foot tall,is there a dwarf spiderwart?

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know if there are any smaller ones. The ones down here are all about 3 feet tall and usually are found near ditches or close to the woods just growing wild. I put mine in my wildflower bed.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,perfect place for them along with other wildflowers!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have blue flowered ones here in my aunt's garden, and just got 3 white ones from Bluestone Perennials. In my last (personal) garden, I also had some pink, and some red.

I love them! They are very hardy.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

White, violet, blue - they're gonna take over here in a boggy area soon- tell me if OK to divide after 2 years and how to divide them and I'll send :)

Thumbnail by Dea
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Juist dig them and divide as you would a hosta, maybe better by hand than with a knife.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The American flag colors!!!
I see the like the moist soil alot,those look huge!

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Dea, If you have extras I would love to get some from you...can do postage or trade

Thx, Carol

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Dea, just dig them up and divide them with a shovel as best you can. Keep them in the shade for about 1 week to help them perk back up after dividing them.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

yardbird and I have been trading these last year and this year as we each get new cultivars.

Very easy to divide -- just use a spade or hand trowel (depending on clump size) and dig them up. You can cut back the foliage on the receiving end if they are very wilty and don't perk up within 3 or 4 days after transplanting in soil. As long as the roots are in good shape they'll be back thicker and fuller the next year. I have mine in partial shade with afternoon sun and they love it.

Brenda

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

I have a purple one. I was babysitting a friends dog last summer & she decited to dig where that plant was, looking for a cool spot. She tore that thing up. There were only a few stems left intact. I was furious with her. I put the loose parts in water & they sprouted roots. The plant did recover. It looks beautiful this year. Needless to say I don't dog sit her any longer! I didn't realize these came in different colors until just last year, I saw a pink one. I would like to get all the colors. Sounds like a fun thing to collect!
These are tough plants!

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

is it best to dig after they flower or doesn't it matter? i have tons of purple if anyone is interested. also some light blue, dark blue, and white although not as much

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

handhelpers ...you have mail :-)

Carol

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

HH, You have some more mail!
Bj

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

HH - I'd like some dark blue. Are you taking postage?

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

hi all, got your messages - but still haven't heard whether i should wait just a little while longer till they stop blooming to make it easier on their travels...only purple left for future takers....

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Sorry HH.....I dig mine while blooming. Haven't ever done any digging when they weren't blooming so not sure if that's better or not.

Some of the ones Ruth sent me last month were blooming in the box when I opened it and kept on blooming after I transplanted them. They never missed a beat.

Brenda

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Spiderwort is one tough plant..It can take a licking and keep on ticking....hehehe

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I have three little plants in pots that I bought last year. I can't decide where to plant them!

They make the cutest little purple flowers, but the foliage is bit fragile . . . It seems like the sun burns it up, but in the shade it gets brown and yucky. Too much moisture??? I thought they liked damp shade?

I must be doing something wrong!

Cheri'

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Cheri, my spiderworts are in full sun and I don't do a thing to them. We have patches that come up in the fields after we plow. Those that come up usually come up in wet places in the fields. Maybe you are babying them too much! Just a thought. Jenny

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Mine get full sun til around 2 or 3, They seem happy and are blooming well...I heard they like poor soil...so thats what i gave 'em...must be true...so far so good

Carol

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I put each pot in a different location, trying to see where they like it. The one that looks best (tho not all that good) is in morning sun, afternoon shade. Maybe they don't like the heat here. If that's the case, they should do better in the ground than in a pot.

Cheri'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.