First Datura,Moonflower

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Will open tonite,

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Pull up a chair and enjoy it. Just beware of gentlemen callers! LOL That stuff is really scented.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Me too!

Thumbnail by rylaff
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmmm!Love the fragrance of both!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have my first Datura flower bud forming on a tiny 6 inch seedling. Looks like the flower will be no more than an inch long. Is this unusual?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure ,might depend on the vareity,I have seen a lot smaller flowers,but not on a 6 inch seedling.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

rikerbear, Datura Stramonium var. Tatula blooms when very small. This Datura does have the smallest flowers of all the Daturas, but the scent is wonderful. Grow this one by restricting its roots. It tends to grow wide and lanky, but if you restrict the root system, it will be dwarfed.

Nice ones, Don!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Clare is that the one they call Blue datura?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

This is just SO odd....the bloom grew considerably over the last 24 hrs....it is now 2 1/2 inches, however the plant is still only 6 inches tall.
Looks like one of the Lilac L'fleur, as I can now see some purple color peeking through.

Hi Don, well, I think the blue Datura is a myth because the white can look bluish in a certain light. This one is lavender with a darker purple center.

Rikerbear, Lilac L'fleur is the common name for Datura Stramonium var. Tatula.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you Clare.........

RB

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

The only Datura I knew of before is the Sacred Datura that's native to the area. They volunteer here in my gardens and this is the first bloom of the season.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Side view. it's proper name is Datura meteloides and the light was not so great - by days end it will have pink edges. Probably. - Blooms

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

Hi Blooms,

Actually Datura meteloides is an invalid name now and no longer used. Dave's Plants Database knows about this problem and only kept it to avoid confusion. The original category was divided into two categories: Datura wrightii and Datura inoxia. Yours looks like Datura wrightii. Here's a good link: http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/datura_inoxia.htm

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanx Clare, and my book isn't that old either.

Wanted to add we find these by following our noses - the smell can be noticed for a long ways.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2004 10:01 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I thought there was one called blue metal,must have had a senior moment of lost thought!!!LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.