yellow squash turning green

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i thought the yellow squash was turning green because of cross pollination. but a man at market is having this problem too. he has no zuuchini growing this yr.
is there a way to stop this or are we stuck with it? it does not change the taste but it sure does not look pretty, and at market it is all about looks.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Is it a mottled look? Greenish areas/spots?

Only thing I can find in one of my books is this happens when you have Mosaic virus. It is spread by cucumber beetles and the like...have you had plenty of those bugging ya?

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

yes darn. give me bad news lol. we did not have a freeze last winter so our bugs are out of control. name it we've had it.
thanks shoe

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You should still have time to start some more...squash grows fairly quickly.

I would invest in some Reemay row cover fabric and cover the plants with that to keep off the bugs. When the female flowers appear pull the row cover off for pollination purposes for a couple days OR hand pollinate and re-cover the plants.

I really have a terrible time with cuke beetles here, too. You can spray and spray but it's hard to keep them gone.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sure sounds like the cucumber mosaic virus. Fortunately there are many cultivars with the precocious yellow gene which alleviates the problem.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ahah! Good thing to note, Farmerdill!

My source here says Multipik, Napolini, Superpik, and Superset.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.