Getting My Cukes/Melons/Squash to grow Faster!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Weather around here has been strange lately and I am having trouble getting some of my little plants to get started, Cukes have been in the ground since the 1st of May and are not any bigger, actually their lower leaves (not the first pair) yellowed and have died, I have tried a little diluted miracle grow but they seem angry with me. I am wondering if it has just been too windy and Hot/Cold... I have had one suggestion that I mulch with clear plastic to warm the soil up? Anyone have any experience with this? Will it work? Any other Ideas?

Thanks...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't grow melons here but cukes and squash don't like wind or cold. mulching with plastic will help but covering the plants with plastic will probably help more. In the past I have protected my plants with one gallon milk jugs or two liter clear pop bottlesjust cut off the bottom and place over the plant put the caps on at night and remove in the morning to let the heat out. If your plants are bigger then you can use those cheap tomato cages that are tapered just wrap it in plastic and cover at night. This works for me in washington hope it helps you. Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.