what do you fertilize with

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm looking for an all around good fertilizer for perennials, potted plants, tropical plants, etc. one that can be used on all plants, except maybe the ones that need a more acid fertilizer. I've been using miracle grow on the brugs and all the other potted plants. I have alot in pots because there's no room in the ground yet, or I haven't made room. your suggestions please.

kathy_ann

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

I use Dr. Earth "All Purpose" as a general fertilizer on established plants, and use their Bone and Blood Meal when planting new in pots.

I also use Foxfarm's "Grow Big", which is organically based, and is a liquid fertilizer. Works GREAT on tomatos!

When I clean my fish tank, the water is always used on my plants. Not a lot of fish emulsion in the water, but I always figured it couldn't hurt.

You can always go to a garden center and ask them what they recommend.

Lori

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Being a lazy gardener, I use osmocote in the potted plants so I only have to do it every three months. I have huge hanging plants and it is the best way that I have found to keep them fertilized.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Frog what numbers do you use and how much do you use. Ernie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Osmocote here too. I like the time release option, and it seems to work very well.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I was using osmocote until I found a larger container by shultz. I is exactly like osmocote only lasts longer and is less expensive. It is 20-30-20. It works great and you can spray super bloom or a liquid fertilizer or the plant without hurting it.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Me too on the Osmocote. But I've learned this year to supplement it with liquid fertilizer every two or three weeks, and my plants are looking great for the first time at this time of year, which is the beginning of the season for me. I use Algoflash to supplement. I used to think that would be too much, but it's not.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I thought about that osmoscote I can't find the larger container of it, and it's so darned expensive. I should have checked sam's last time I was there.

kathy

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Kathy last year I bought 25 lbs for about $50 including from Jungs I think. I might have the box it came in I wiil look. I found that to be much cheaper than in the plastic shaker jars and the small boxes offered for sale around here. Ernie

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Shoot, I just threw the last package out. I think it it 19-6-12. The pink multipurpose variety of osmocote and I actually use it according to directions. I have alot of hanging and potted plants. the good news it theat the plants above will feed the plants below. I get the large bags as well. It ends up much cheaper than things you apply more often. I have never used the vegetable version but think I will try it this year.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that's a good price eweed, been lookin on the net too for large bags, need to stop by the nursery to see if I can get large bags of it. 25# bag would work great,

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.