Any cultural info on Degarmoara ?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey guys...I just got one of these...didn't care about the environment 'cuz I always know I can 'create' it....but I can't find any info?! Anyone have any? Thanks in advance!!

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Nan, I believe a degarmoara is a hybrid from the oncidium family (Brassia x Miltionia x Odontoglossum). I would treat it like an onc. with bright filtered lite and intermediate temp. Which one did you get? is it in bloom now?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks!! No, not in bloom....it's Toy Soldier X Volcano, I think (it's at home).....the bloom color should be wild & interesting...I can't wait to see it!!! (just hope I can get it to bloom!)

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Nan,
I was just reading some old posts and wondered if you got this plant to bloom and if by chance you have photos? The cymbidium you traded is doing fantastic!!! Have a great day.
Susan

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Susan...funny you should post to this because just today I decided to check on some of my old threads....(love that feature!)

No, never got that durned thing to bloom. It did well for quite some time, growth-wise, but it is one of (the many!) plants I lost while my son was ill during 2001-2002.

In fact, I couldn't seem to get *any* orchids to bloom, until this year. I had a couple of Phals outdoors over the summer and *finally* one of them bloomed - it's in bloom as we speak....(the other one I sent to you!) and...just a couple of weeks ago, I was watering plants and thinking "I wonder when my Laelia will bloom?" (it was my very 1st orchid, received in a trade) ...about an hour later, I noticed this little 'splash' of color back near that window and alas....it had a bloom!!
My 'jewel orchid' is in bloom right now too! I'm feeling so 'successful', (lol!)....and it makes up for the disappointment in losing that one and others....I was beginning to think I was a total failure at orchid culture!

So glad to hear yours is doing well! I got that one in a trade a few years ago, too, and it just needed a home where it could really get some TLC. How's that Phal doing?

My Crypto's fabulous....I just love it, thank you!!

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Nan!

I am so glad you checked on this post. The Phal that you sent is growing like mad. It has put out tons of new roots and 2 large new leaves. No spikes yet but I can wait for that. It seems to be very happy so far. The cymbidium is doing fantastic and I can't wait for spring to get here so it can get back outside. It has two new bulbs growing on it and I am hoping for even more when it goes outside. Just hoping for blooms there also.

Hey, Congrats on the Laelia and Phal blooms.............. makes the obcession so much stronger when they finally start doing what they are supposed to, doesn't it? I started out 6 or 7 years ago with a $10.00 Lowe's generic phal and have just lost all control since then. First I only liked Phals. Then I moved on to a Haraella Odorata. Then on to Catts. Then on to Cymbidiums. Now I have a few Epidendrums. Got a paph. I got a few Dendrobium kingianum starts. Just got a Colmanara 'Wildcat' and an Oncidium 'Sharry Baby' at the "death rack" at Lowe's. I just don't know where it will end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, Maybe it won't end. Maybe I will win the lottery and get that HUGE-MONGOUS greenhouse that I have been lusting after for so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jewel Orchids are just too cool. I have seen these but never gotten one. The leaves are just beautiful. Have you posted pictures of it in bloom? I would love to see it and the Phals blooms. Let me know if you post them on here somewhere.

Gotta run, my lunch break is over.

Take care Nan and happy blooming!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

just curious, how is the little Haraella odorata doing? Did it flower for you?

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

The Haraella flowers for me quite a bit. It has 3 spikes right now and 1 bud will open in a couple of days. 2 buds finished blooming last week and fell off. I am waiting for the plant to multiply so I can have a nice size 'clump' of it. I mounted it in a suet basket after a fellow poster on GW sent photos of hers to give me help with it. I have heard that it is difficult for some, but I have not had any trouble with it (YET). I have had it about a year now. I will post a photo when this bloom opens if I an get a good one.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

good for you! You are doing well with it.
I had one years ago on a bark, it even flowered for me and then it "expired". I thought it was a tough plant to keep going.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.