What happened??

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

What I thought were grapes,Were not,but flowers I guess,

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Passion Flwrs.???

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No its my red flame grape vine,but what I thought were clusters of grapes until today they became flowers I guess.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

But I do have look alike grapes!!LOL!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Tropicman, those are the flower like structures that predate the grapes themselves.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Hi Don! Yes, Lenjo is right. The grapes will follow the flowers.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Tropicman, I have a merlot grape vine in a pot against a dark fence. I haven't planted it yet, because it is to be planted infront of my greenhouse when it goes in next week. Anyway, just after it put out it's first signs of fruiting, I sat it against this dark fence and some of the fruits dried up. Mine looks just like yours. There will be some grapes, but because it got so hot, I lost some of each little fruiting group.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

lol.. Yes it will have grapes after flowers.. I just bought me a flame grape plant! I need to find a place to plant it and buid a fence for them to vine on ..

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Why do they call it a Flame grape plant? What is everyone going to do with these grapes........make wine?

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Red Flame is just a variety of grape. It has nice large red grapes with tender skins. Usually people eat Red Flame grapes raw or turn them into raisins. I could be wrong; but, I don't think they are usually used for wine.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the info,yes I like the soft skin grapes,and so to my parrots!Did I mention seedless too!!!
Can't hardly wait!
Yummy

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

The flowers are the "young fruit". The amt. of flowers doesn't dictate the amt. of grapes you'll have either. Don't worry, the foliage looks healthy, you'll have good grapes. To get a lot of them, however, pruning and tying are the key. I live in grape land! Even our fire hydrants are purple. We're just starting to get leaves. Can't wait until the grape fest!!!! Mere

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mere,are you saying now is the time to prune,to get good grapes???

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

NO. Pruning is done in the fall so that the plant doesn't have to work so hard in the winter to stay alive. Then in the spring you prune again so that the new growth that is uneeded is cut off, and the energy to make the grapes can be directed to the healthiest parts of the vine. Tying is done then too. You live in my zone so this is what is done for the winter. If you lived in a warmer climate, you could keep them unpruned until the spring before they start to grow again. But don't go nuts with pruning. You'll gets good grapes as long as the vine is healthy. They do go nuts down here but that's because they have to yeild a certain amt. for the wineries around town. It's hard to keep a vine alive with 4 or 5 runners (where the grapes grow from) so just cut off the sucker leaves. If you already have young fruit just keep off the new growth of AFTER the flowers stop blooming. Hope this helps... they look great. Mere

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the good info,and I will!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.