Air Potato Vine

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I have to share this picture. I've never seen such a unique plant and am so happy it's growing here! Will the potato in the soil get bigger with time?

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The leaves just keep getting bigger and bigger,mine is about 6ft now,I'm trying to grow it up and then down again,training it is almost impossible,but I have plenty of string!LOL!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL...thanks for the warning Tropicman! I'll be searching the house for mine shortly! ;) Does the potato in the ground keep getting bigger or does it die and do you have to start a new plant with another potato?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes they are not hardy,but they are suppose to produce potatoes on the vine to overwinter for next year.
The leaves are really pretty.almost looks the same as my leaves on my pepper vine,will try to get a pic,soon,working so much overtime,by the time I get done watering everything,and take care of my parrots eat supper its dark out.And I'm pooped!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I hope mine is large enough to produce some. I think it's one of the most interesting vines I've ever seen.

I'd be exhausted if I had a garden like yours! Considering your zone it has to be a labor of love!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Give it full sun and it will be big enough,you can actually watch these vines grow!
Yes its a labor of love,but welding 9 or 10 hrs a day,then coming home watering, weed pulling and other chores,I'm now noticing.I'm not the kid I once was!LOL!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL...That's an impressive looking leaf. I think I should pot mine up now that I see the size it. Thanks Don!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I would If I were you,mine is in a 35 gallon container,well I have 2 of them like that.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL...my poor plant is really in the wrong pot! Thanks for the information Don. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.