Voles

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quite sure this is a topic that has been done to death..
but, does anyone have ANY new methods for ridding the yard of voles?
pure sand here- the coffee can full of water never works... I could have bought stock in Juicey fruit by now...
going to try plain old fashioned mouse traps next.
They are eating EVERYTHING.

Fort Mill, SC(Zone 7b)

I've had good luck planting castor bean seeds to keep moles away.

(Zone 4b)

I think voles are so cute!

but really, how about getting a cat? If he doesn't catch any, at least the voles will know of his presence and stay away...

-plant girl :)

Sigh.... If only it were true.
I have had 7 or 8 cats at a time. Makes NO difference.
Even resorted to getting a Jack Russell that needed a home... thi king she woulds catch some. Did get ONE yesterday after living here for 3 months...

The voles are so destructive. They have eaten dozens of geraniums and impatients already...no such thing as a tulip bulb here.

(Zone 4b)

>Did get ONE yesterday after living here for 3 months...

OH! So, he's improving then! :)

I'm so sorry about your garden and flowers, it must be frustrating, and I didn't mean to make light of it. :(

I know lots of things don't like marigolds or hot pepper, tried any of those? What about a stuffed owl?

Lyles, TN

Have you tried wire? I use 1/4 or 3/8 inch mesh wire to form a basket with the edges sticking above ground for problem things like tulips. Then when you dig them in the fall, just pull up basket and all, the bulbs will be inside. I know you don't want a wire garden but a spot her and there is not so much trouble.....Hope you find a solution, Ivey

A stuffed owl?
Hmmmmmm...... what would I do- jam it down the runs?
LOL!
My dh thinks I am CRAZY enough over this as it is..
Once I found the skull of vole and was wondering aloud if putting that in a run would deter them... I was thinking along the lines of 'bug juice'- you know blenderize some bugs mix with whatever and spray on plants- works sometimess...I thought maybe dead vole parts would do something similar. But, he thought I was resorting to voodoo! Volunteered to make tiny, little skull & crossbones signs for all the runs.

Used a few 'pounds' of pepper last year- no difference.
Keep the ideas coming- I will try anything once.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.