Climbing Hydrangea

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

About to bloom....

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Here is a close-up.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

WOW!!
Shirley,how old is your vine & is it fragrant?
This one is on my wish list.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Shirley, thanks so much for the picture. I've had a climbing hydrangea for 7 years now. Three years at one house, then I moved, so I dug it up and took it with me. Then I had to cut it back after 2 years because it wasn't climbing up the concrete block wall of my garage. Now it is on a nice wooden trellis.

7 years and I'm still waiting for this plant to bloom! (Nice leaves, though.)

Thanks for the kudos!

Climbing Hydrangea does takes time & patience. "ceceoh", have you been fertilizing it with an acidic fertilizer? I also give mine a cold cup of left over coffee and spread used coffee grounds surrounding the base of the plant.

Having it grow up a wooden trellis is much better than concrete wall blocks. I think when you cut it back, you probably took off several years of growth from it.

Try fertilizing it in the Spring and Fall, and hopefully next year you will be rewarded with some flowers.

My vines are at least 7-9yrs. old. They just "sat there" for quite some time developing their root system and then finally, they started growing vertically. Now, I have several areas of climbing Hydrangea along the North side of my split rail fence. It also needs to be kept moist and does best in pt. sun to shade.

If does have a light fragrance, which attractors pollinators. Not a strong overwhelming scent.

I have several areas where the vines have crept along the ground and have taken root. So, if you are interested, let me know.

Shirley you have mail!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.