Cheapskate's Greenhouse (Old Windows?)

Brownville, NY(Zone 4a)

I've heard alot of stories about people building little greenhouses using old windows. Nobody ever seems to mention HOW they did it, as far as framing, etc. And what they used for a floor. I've got dozens of old windows my father has saved out of houses his company tore down, and I'd love to build myself a little greenhouse, if only to use in the warmer months. I mention being a cheapskate about it because I'm working on limited income. Thanks!

Bucky

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We have just the spring build mine out of windows-I luv it!
Besides warm n toasty-I can see everything outside around me-the gardens-the kids everything!! Its far from finished but man is it warm in there. The flooring is not finished but i have a used carpet upside down right now....in this forum there are lots of ideas and how to's.
good luck
dori

Price, UT

belive me yould be better with a hoop house if built 2 both 60 by 30 and the cost was outragouis it was made out of redwood and glass and the darn kids keot throwing rocks lol i used adobie brick for my flooring there good at holding heat but i wish you all the luck in the world

How about this: http://home.epix.net/~jshowers/greenhouse.htm

You could always e-mail them and ask them how they did it. Or check out the other sites on the Hobby Greenhouse Association page: http://www.orbitworld.net/hga/links.htm.

(Zone 4b)

I've seen one greenhouse built out of old windows, and they were in their wooden frames, and all of the same size. The frames were nailed together, and regular old cocking filling in the crevices. Don't recall the flooring, sorry.

Did I write "cocking"? Oops - I meant "CAULKING". Sorry, it's this old Freudian keyboard. It messes me up every time....

This message was edited Monday, Jul 2nd 2:45 PM

Melbourne, FL

I am also interested in building a greenhouse from old windows. I don't have much money for my budget and really need a greenhouse. I think it would be charming, too. I like the idea of adobe flooring. Does the greenhouse have to have a layer of concrete poured for the floor? I read about a woman who used milk jugs filled with water to heat the greenhouse. It didn't explain how or why of it. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.