Oops! Veggie plants larger than expected. Now what?

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

You can TELL that this is my first vegetable garden. I have never seen squash or watermelon or cucumbers growing, and under-estimated their size.

Of course, this three-foot by three-foot bed looked fine when it was first planted with the seedlings, but now that they are growing, I am afraid that the plants may be over-crowded.

I had planned to let the cucumber grow up the wooden fence, and have the watermelon grow up a trellis against the chain-link fence.

And that squash plant is getting big. Will it grow UP or continue to sprawl OUT? Or both?

Should I move some of these to another bed?

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lol! I shouldn't laugh. The first year I planted squash I planted so many that the neighbors for miles around hid in fear. The darned things took over the back yard. The answer to all of your questions is yes. A squash will easily take over a 6'x6' area all by itself and so will the cucumber. I make my cucumbers climb but I cannot say they are happiest that way. I have not grown sugar babies but my other watermelon took over a large area too. I would definately spread them out if you can.

Thanks frogs. I had a feeling that this bed would harbor The Plants That Ate My Yard. LOL.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That's a beautiful lookin' eggplant! I'm jealous! (How'd you keep the flea beetles off it!?)

Hi Shoe. Don't know what a flea beetle is. Perhaps they were eaten by those ravenous vulture-birds that flock to my yard. They eat everything else! LOL.

Jean

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Sweetpea -- Don't seem to have a problem with your so called "Black Thumb." Why not leave as is and see what happens. It would be fun to know..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.