White Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium candidum)

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

White Lady's Slipper
Cypripedium candidum

Thumbnail by KWoods

Very beautiful plant. Do you per chance grow any other native orchids?

Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL(Zone 5a)

I like it too. Hope you printed and framed the pic.
I have seen the showy lady's slipper grown here in Newfoundland - I need to find out more about bloom time, habitat, etc to see if it's worth the effort.
Nice way to perk up the day.
Bill in south-eastern Newfoundland zone 5a.... in freezing rain!

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Forgot I posted that!

I grow candidum as well as a number of other native orchids including cyps, spiranthes, goodyera, platanthera and others. I also grow some asian temperate terrestrials too.

Some are just starting to show, a month and some will be blooming.

Thumbnail by KWoods

Annnnnnnnnd There's ANOTHER spectacular photo! I'd love to see photos of your Plantathera.

Do you flask these to start them?

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Nope I haven't flasked anything yet but I'm getting an awful lot of encouragement to do so. I get my starts from a lot of different, legitimate, sources. I have P. ciliaris, cristata, integrilabia, flava, and blephariglottis. I'll dig up last years pics if I can find them.... or, just wait a couple months and I'll post this years when they bloom.

Glad other people like these as much as I do!

I love every plant you listed. Terrestrial orchids are great. If you dig up last year's photos I'd love to see them but I'd also love to see any more you come up with this year.

What sources do you purchase your starts from?

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

I like

the Wild Orchid Company
Paul Christian
Gardens of the Blue Ridge
Fraser's Thimble Farms
Planteck

I have bought in the past from

Spangle Creek Labs
Cyp Haven
Phytesia
Rocky Mountain Orchids
Vermont Ladyslipper

I try and go to as many native plant sales as possible. I've also been fortunate enough to connect with quite a few private growers and propagators to buy as well as trade with.

Here is one of my more unusual ones Cypripedium ventricosum from last year. Wasn't even sure what it was until I posted it and some forum members IDed it for me.

Thumbnail by KWoods

pant pant pant! The C. ventricosum is way cool. Did you know there is an orchid forum here? You should show these photos off where more people can see them You've got terrestrial orchids and there are people out there who are in major lust to see photos of these.

Time for me to add this thread to my little journal so I can find the sources for all the "good stuff"!

Very nice photos too!

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Add

Robert's Orchid Supply
Crustecare
Shooting Star Nursery (great for natives... they raised the prices on seedling cyps)
Raising Rarities

Google; Werner Frosche. Carson Whitlow, Holger Perner

P. flava

Thumbnail by KWoods

Enabler! Enabler! Enabler amongst us! ;) ;) ;)

I'll be a pauper in no time flat if I hang around you! Fortunately, I don't think I can order most of what I want right about now. I'd have to be ordering for next season. They always run out of the one's I want and this year I've run out of money so perhaps this is a good thing. That's ok, this is the year of the conifer and viburnum for me. Next year can be the year of the terrestrial orchid for me. All in good time but I can tell you I'll be looking at some of those sources of yours to pick up a few Platanthera for some bogs I have. I feel the need to buy just a few itsie bitsy ones because I am obviously sick sick sick and in need of a 12 step program or something.

I've bookmarked this thread indefintiely in my journal. It goes down with about 5 or 6 others that I couldn't bear to lose track of.

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Sorry,

Hey! I found a bunch of last years pics. You want me to put some here or on the orchid forum? Almost all are Cyps, still can't find the Plat. pics.

Last time I checked Planteck had some inexpensive Dactylorhiza praetermissa and they would be great in your bog. I have a few different Dact species in my bog. They are easy and relatively inexpensive, Paul Christian has lots but the shipping! Only good if you know someone traveling here from the EU.

D. Praetermissa

Thumbnail by KWoods

I have a meeting to get into real fast. I'll get back here a little bit later but please start a new thread over in orchids or maybe another thread in native plants too as many of these plants are indigenous to North America and there will be native plant geeks that eat them up and there will be orchid geeks that eat up your photos too ;)

Orchid Forum-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/orchids/all/

Native Plants Forum called Indigenous Plants-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/wildplants/all/

Please post links to your new threads here as I don't normally peruse those forums. I'd be in the poor house for sure!

Lauren

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's a pic of henryii I posted in the orchid forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/590946/

More! More! More!

Which nursery would you suggest I order D. praetermissa from? And which nursery for Platanthera?

I got a better idea, pick 2 or 3 for me from here-
http://www.planteck.com//catalogue/default.php?cPath=1_11&osCsid=3c1e0c7b49fb0648c517683531c3672e

I'm zone 5 but those are hardy natives so they should all do fine. I wish they would have offered some Calopogon or Spiranthes. I really like those.

The exchange rate is not the greatest right now for an overseas order. The British Pound is too strong so that's going to knock out Paul Christian for a bit. Plantech wasn't listing any D. praetermissa at the moment. Have you another suggestion for D. praetermissa?

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Planteck is great but you have to remember these are lab plants and need to be babied a bit (hardened). The P. bleph is a great plant and their price is reasonable. They will do great in your Z 5 bog. Range is south east all the way up into Ontario.

My Calopogon and Pogonia is from Botanique, alas they are no more. I know http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/ has had them in the past but they don't list them now. Try http://www.pitcherplant.org/catalog.htm#OtherBogPlants they usually have them. Meadowview send fantastic healthy plants and they have a great mission.

Wild Orchid Company usually has the white Calopogon. Try Fraser's Thimble farm for Dact species (European marsh orchids).

I know, the Paul Christian site is crazy but very nice to drool at!

Oh my, you know all the good sources. Rob went wholesale this year but I did order his Calopogan the last two years and they're great healthy plants just like you said. I also ordered from Michael. I love him. He's a full time science teacher. I get a kick out of him but alas... I already ordered his bog orchids when he first opened up his retail nursery so I have what he has to offer. Meadowview is a great place to order from and I'm a member (you probably are too) so that has it's perks. I have all that Phil sells in the orchid department. I need different species now.

Looks as if we're going to the UK this summer so maybe... just maybe... I will get a chance to stop in at that Paul Christian nursery. Not that I can bring anything home with me but like you said, it's nice to drool. His prices are a tad on the insane side even without phytos, shipping, and handling.

I ordered something from Thimble Farms a few years ago but for the life of me I can't recall what I ordered. Gentian? Who knows, They sent a quality plant that was packed well but I never ordered from them again. I'll go see if they have any Dactylorhiza.

I'll go play around at the Plantech site and pick a few Platanthera from them. What fun, I feel like I'm going to be in big trouble next year when I enter the year of the hardy orchid!

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Oh! Good books for winter reading then.... (sorry, I feel like I'm a bit overenthusiastic and getting us both in trouble now... just ordered something I really didn't "need" from Plantek, I'm hopeless)

Growing Hardy Orchids by Tullock
and
Growing Hardy Perrenial Orchids by Bill Mathis

The Mathis book is a really great resource and Bill is pretty cool/helpful too. He owns/runs The Wild Orchid Company.

I also collect terrestrial orchid books.... sooooo if you get bored next winter and want to really get in trouble... ask me for a list sometime ;o)

You are going to be a very bad influence on me, I can feel it in my bones.

Have you found the Bookworm here? Are all those books appearing? Did you know you can rate them?

I'd be interested in buying one book. Perferably on hardy native orchids. I know very little about them. If you were to recommend one book to me, which one would it be?

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Just one?;o)

For cultural info I'd go w/ the Mathis book.

http://www.wildorchidcompany.com/book_hpo_info.html

I'll check out the Bookworm, gives me an excuse to make a comprehensive list of all my books (finally).

The holy grail is The Native Orchids of the United States and Canada Excluding Florida by Carlyle A. Luer.

Neither of those books are listed in the Bookworm! Bummer.

The Mathis Book it is because of the cultural information.

I was a bad girl, I just placed my order with Plantech. What can I say but I ordered more than what I should have. Oh well, that's life. Now to order the book.

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Sorry 'bout that.... hope you haven't caught whatever it is I've got.

C. macranthos

Thumbnail by KWoods
Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Ooooops!

Sorry... did it again!

You are without conscience KWoods!

Oh woe is me! I do not know how long I can withstand this sensory bombardment. You are are are... pppppushing me over the plant edge. I feel I am falling a year earlier than I was supposed to fall. This was supposed to be the year of the Viburnum and Conifer! The year of the Orchid is supposed to be next year AFTER I get the book and read how to properly care for these native beauties.

Here's your book! Go rate it sir/mam!
http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/1982/
For those interested inowning this choice book, click on the link and it can be yours direct shipped to your home!

I suppose I better go and check out the Holy Grail of Native Orchids. As long as I'm gonna go down, I might as well go down with some quality references.

Oops, I completely missed this-

Quoting:
Ooooops!

Sorry... did it again!
My response... liar liar pants on fire!

You are evil!

"The Native Orchids of the United States and Canada, Excluding Florida," Carlyle A. Luer. The New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, New York, 1975 is out of print! Now what do I do? Here I am all full of native orchid lust and the book is out of print!

I did find this link which was interesting, check it out-
http://www.orchids.org/ooc/na_orchids/us_orchids_java.shtml

For Illinois we have:
Aplectrum hyemale
Arethusa bulbosa
Calopogon tuberosus var. tuberosus
Coeloglossum viride var. virescens
Corallorhiza maculata var. maculata
Corallorhiza maculata var. occidentalis
Corallorhiza odontorhiza var. odontorhiza
Corallorhiza odontorhiza var. pringlei
Corallorhiza trifida
Corallorhiza wisteriana
Cypripedium acaule
Cypripedium arietinum
Cypripedium candidum
Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum
Cypripedium parviflorum var. makasin (Farwell) Sheviak
Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens
Cypripedium reginae
Cypripedium x andrewsii nm. andrewsii
Cypripedium x andrewsii nm. favillianum
Epipactis helleborine
Galearis spectabilis
Goodyera pubescens
Hexalectris spicata var. spicata
Isotria medeoloides
Isotria verticillata
Liparis lilifolia
Liparis loeselii
Malaxis brachypoda
Malaxis unifolia
Platanthera blephariglottis var. blephariglottis
Platanthera ciliaris
Platanthera clavellata var. clavellata
Platanthera clavellata var. ophioglossoides
Platanthera dilatata var. dilatata
Platanthera flava var. flava
Platanthera flava var. herbiola
Platanthera hookeri
Platanthera huronensis
Platanthera hyperborea
Platanthera lacera
Platanthera leucophaea
Platanthera orbiculata
Platanthera peramoena
Platanthera psycodes
Pogonia ophioglossoidesvar. ophioglossoides
Spiranthes cernua
Spiranthes lacera var. lacera
Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis
Spiranthes lucida
Spiranthes magnicamporum
Spiranthes ovalis var. ovalis
Spiranthes ovalis var. erostellata
Spiranthes romanzoffiana
Spiranthes tuberosa
Spiranthes vernalis
Triphora trianthophora var. trianthophora

For Wisconsin we have:
Amerorchis rotundifolia
Aplectrum hyemale
Arethusa bulbosa Linnaeus
Calopogon tuberosus var. tuberosus
Calypso bulbosa var. americana
Coeloglossum viride var. virescens
Corallorhiza maculata var. maculata
Corallorhiza maculata var. occidentalis
Corallorhiza odontorhiza var. odontorhiza
Corallorhiza odontorhiza var. pringlei
Corallorhiza striata var. striata
Corallorhiza trifida
Cypripedium acaule
Cypripedium arietinum
Cypripedium candidum
Cypripedium parviflorum var. makasin
Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens
Cypripedium reginae
Cypripedium x andrewsii nm. andrewsii
Epipactis helleborine
Galearis spectabilis
Goodyera oblongifolia
Goodyera pubescens
Goodyera repens
Goodyera tesselata
Liparis lilifolia
Liparis loeselii
Listera auriculata
Listera convallarioides
Listera cordata var. cordata
Malaxis brachypoda
Malaxis unifolia
Platanthera clavellata var. clavellata
Platanthera clavellata var. ophioglossoides
Platanthera dilatata var. dilatata
Platanthera flava var. herbiola
Platanthera hookeri
Platanthera huronensis
Platanthera hyperborea var. hyperborea
Platanthera lacera
Platanthera leucophaea
Platanthera obtusata
Platanthera orbiculata
Platanthera psycodes
Platanthera x andrewsii
Pogonia ophioglossoides var. ophioglossoides
Spiranthes casei var. casei
Spiranthes cernua
Spiranthes lacera var. lacera
Spiranthes lucida
Spiranthes magnicamporum
Spiranthes ovalis var. erostellata
Spiranthes romanzoffiana
Spiranthes x simpsonii
Triphora trianthophora var. trianthophora

In reviewing these lists, I sort of question the existence of Epipactis helleborine. I'm relatively sure that's an introduced species that is sort of "weedy". I removed quite a few from my property. Actually, I removed ever one I could find. They are certainly attractive but I don't want them in the natural areas.

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

"Now what do I do?"

"You seek the GRRrail?"
Wait 'til you've really been bitten. You don't need that.

It comes up on Abe books http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ sometimes but it is expensive, $150.00 right now which is actually cheap. It is a reference book describing each species. There are other good books. The best for growing and cultural requirements are the two I already gave you (Tullock and Mathis). You would probably find Wild Orchids of Illinois by Winterringer a great refernce for your state. I believe it is also out of print but fairly easily found/relatively inexpensive on abe or half.com. Orchids of the Western Great Lakes by Case would also be good. The Genus Cypripedium by Cribb is "The Book" for cyps.

But, wait... hold on... get your Mathis book... get your Planteck orchids... maybe go on some native orchid walks this spring... snuggle up w/ some good books next winter aaaand.... before you know it it will be The Year of the Orchid! That's the great thing about gardening and gardeners, we're an inherently optimistic bunch... spring is always coming and seems to arrive at just the right time.

Thanks for the link! Here's one for you http://www.esf.edu/resorg/rooseveltwildlife/Research/Orchid/Orchid.htm

$150, normally I would buy it because that type of a publication would be desirable to me in that it is addressing the natives but I now need to pull in the reins as I'm going to try for a greenhouse. I don't know if I will be successful getting a greenhouse as it's going to come down to cost but I really do need to watch my spending. Oh, the pain of having to watch one's spending when one is a plantaholic. I have Swink and Wilhelm's "Plants of the Chicago Region" and their publications are covering all those that are indigenous to my local area so I'm ok in that department once they deliver my Mathis book that I ordered. I'll go check out the Tullock a little closer too.

I have seen orchids in the wild here. I volunteered for Plants Of Concern and was assigned to monitor several areas in the local vicinity. About all I can say is that some people can be pigs. One particular area was totally wiped out by some "collector". I was aghast. Not one Calopogon tuberosus left and they were local genotype too and none of us had ever collected any seed from that community. Makes me want to puke. I have Calopogon here at my home but it's white not the real attractive deep pink that was at that site and certainly not a local genotype as mine came from Botanique and The Carnivorous Plant Nursery. Pity, some greedy slob who was too cheap to buy their own plants decided to wipe out those Calopogan. Rant over.

Say, where did you come from? I just checked your user profile and you've been a member here since 2002 but I don't think I've ever run across you before now in any threads and that is very odd given you appear to have parallel interests.

Lauren

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

"Say, where did you come from? "

I come and go. Disenfranchised GWebber, as well as a few other smaller places. Usually hang out a while (while at work ;o)) then head back out. I got some mail from a Dave member recently (everyone wants me to pollinate for seed to flask this time of year) so came back to check out the forums, saw your post and responded.

"you appear to have parallel interests.

Yep, saw ya over at the carnivorous forum. Great minds and all that! I'm pretty self indulgent when it comes to plants and have a lot of esoteric interests, Aroids, Deciduous Azaleas, Erythronium, Spurges, Terrestrial Orchids, Carnivores, NA Natives... this year I'm turning a cottage-y mixed border into a kind of Piet Oudolf inspired prairie border.

I hear ya on the righteous indignation front. If people really appreciate these plants they would never plunder them, most are readily avaiable from lab prop and the more people support the growers the more will come to market at lower prices. I live on Long Island and believe me any interesting sites are carefully guarded secrets and should be, not just orchids either. Once "discovered" they can disappear overnight, literally, unless they get bulldozed first for more McMansions. I will probably take all my Morel, Herp and Orchid sites with me to my grave.

Good luck with the greenhouse! I NEED one too but first a nice piece of land somewhere not quite so busy to plunk it down on.

Hey there, the orchids that we discussed came in. I came home from work and the box was here. That was fast.

Here is the hole I just finished digging and leveling. What type of a medium do I need to be able to plant the orchids?

Here's my hole with the liner. If it doesn't look level, that is an optical illusion-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Forgot to mention, my husband ordered the greenhouse for me. It's 12 x 24 or maybe it was 25. I've definitely had a learning experience with that. The actual greenhouse cost is a drop in the bucket after you add on the excavation, concrete slab, gas, electric, water, and accessories. Here's the greenhouse he ordered for me a few days ago- http://www.farmtek.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&productId=19771&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&pageId=ItemDetail&parent_category_rn=&top_category=&breadcrumb_trail=Greenhouses+%26+Accessories%7CProfessional+Greenhouses&breadcrumb_categoryIds=11701%7C11707&isDoc=
I ordered the white one.

Also too, do you have a photo of this-

Quoting:
this year I'm turning a cottage-y mixed border into a kind of Piet Oudolf inspired prairie border.

Last but not least, I ordered the Mathis book you suggested however I don't have it yet. Thanks for recommending that.

Oh jeeze. I suppose it would help if you knew which terrestrial orchids I ordered. I bought from Planteck. I bought Platanthera dilatata, blephariglottis, clavellata, and one other one. So please get back to me when you have a spare moment as my plants are in the box in bondage and I need to freeeeeeeee them.

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi Lauren,

Sorry I didn't see this right away. I would put a 2 inch layer of something inert in the bottom of your bog (you are going for another bog here much like a CP bog), I use those foam packing peanuts. The bleph I have on the edge of my bog. I used a peat and sand 50/50 mix but keep it a bit less wet than for my CPs. In the fall before they go to sleep I add a bit of hort lime. P. dilitata I do not grow but have seen in the cranberry bogs here on Long Island along with S. purpurea so you know what to do w/ those, I think they like it a bit wetter than my bleph. I have clavellata right in a little pocket in my bog as well... don't remember if I need to give that one lime at the end of the year or not. I will check when I get home. I will also check what Mathis and Tullock say for you when I get home (just to check if what I'm doing is ideal).

Very cool! Glad you got the plants. Baby them at first with a little shade cloth, they will want full sun later but are probably lab plants that need to be babied and hardened. GOOD LUCK! I know you will do well w/ them and enjoy them for years to come! I will post w/ more info for you maņana.

KW

i will wait for you. i think they are lab plants and i don't quite know what to do with them. right now they are still in ziplock bondage. they were deliverd on the 28th. i'm sure they can hang out in the ziplocks a little longer. aside from that we had very cold temps that dipped into the 30's so probably for the best that you didn't see my posts.

i took a stab in the dark and created the mix already mentioned this past saturday of 1/3 each- canadian sphagnum peat, rinsed sand, and basic old top soil. should i empty it and start over with cs peat and rinsed sand exclusively?

i don't have any shadecloth over that area but i could pick up some screen to put over the top. the area is small.

once i figure out how to baby the p. dilitata, i'll toss it in with something orther than pisttacina that seems to like to be drenched and partially submerged. maybe i'll toss it in with oreophila as that goes dormant much earlier than any of the other sarracenia. that might be a perfect match as the water gets cut back on oreos as soon as the begin to form phyllodia.

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

I think you should get them out of the bags and into the mix. Your mix sounds fine. Just keep them moist, maybe mulch with some pine needles for the next week or two and they will start to show some growth as the weather warms.

Cool that you have oreophila, I got a little one last year and it's doing nicely.

Yes, oreo is one of my favorites and is right up there with 'Hurricane Creek' and plants I bought from philcula. I'm sure you are aware oreo can't be purchased. If your oreo doesn't come out of dormancy this year, I would be more than happy to "gift" you a replacement. Sometimes the little ones don't overwinter as well. OK, I will have to wait to get the orchids out of the plastic baggies because I am sort of dependent upon somebody else doing it for me for a few more weeks. I have a personal friend coming over who is a member here named Dodecatheon and she will get them in the ground for me this Sunday. That's the best I can do.

Glen Cove, NY(Zone 7a)

[i]"That's the best I can do."[/i]

Feel better.

Yep, oreophila was a "gift" and it's sticking his little head out already. Flowers might be too much to hope for this year. I have jonsii and alabamensis too as well as a jonsii/alata hybrid I love. My favorites are the antho -free and a flava veinless I have as well as a couple nameless very weird hybrids from Dean Cook. I'm trying not to buy ANY plants this year. Very hard to do.

Are the initials for Dodecatheon's common name AH? If so I met her on another board and she was very nice. You will both do a great job with the orchids I know.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

She's my personal friend. I bail her happy rear out when things go wrong for her and now she's gonna bail my happy rear out. Life is grand!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.