GOLDEN HOPS /transplanting

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know the answer?
My Golden Hop vines are running rampant and I need/want to divide and transplant them today and tomorrow.
A few days ago I dug some up and then transplanted them immediately and yet they went into shock almost right away.
Promised some to friends and wonder if I should cut them back before replanting ? some of them are 3-4 ft high.
Thanks for your expertise and advice,
Brigitte

This message was edited May 20, 2004 10:19 PM

The Dalles, OR(Zone 8b)

It looks like noone is responding so I will give my 2-cents worth of advice. I would cut them back to about a foot and make sure that each section has roots. Then I would transplant them into a hole with bone meal and steer manure and water well. I would keep them really well watered until they get established. They will probably wilt for a while and all of the current foliage may die back but they should still come back from the roots.

I have transplanted and divided all kinds of perennials and haven't lost many. Sometimes they wilt for a while after transplanting, but they always come out of it if I baby them for a couple of weeks.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I just transplanted some last summer and they did well, continued to grow without much browning or anything, I also just got some roots on tuesday, planted them and waiting to see how they do and how soon they come up.

Just from my experience of last year, I would say, dig and transplant, water in well for a few days, add your fertilizer that you usually use like BusyBee said and they should be just fine. They seem to be a strong thriving vine.
~Laurrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.