Dividing Gardenias

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know if I can divide the roots of gardenias. The ones I want to divide are Radicans (dwarfs).

The nurseries seem to be running very low on this plant and I'm going to have to buy some as 1 gallon and some as 2 gallon. The 2 gallon are about 4 times the size of the 1 gallon so I was wondering if I could divide them to be closer in size to the 1 gallon (I only want to divide in half).

Thanks, Tracey

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Gardenia' hate having their roots disturbed. I moved some of my radicans from my old home and they looked terrible for months.

I'm not sure if you can divide them, but if you do, they will certainly look disasterous for a while.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Osteole, I don't think I'm going to risk it.

Tracey :)

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I was searching the forums for comments on dwarf gardenias or potting regular gardenias and perhaps keeping them trimmed. They will not survive our winters here. Where can I buy gardenia Radicans?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

woodspirit1, Gardenia Kleim's Hardy should work fine in your zone. http://yuccado.com/displayone.php?ytitle=Gardenia%20jasminoides%20'Kleim's%20Hardy'
I have it and it is quite tough. I've found they aren't so easy to do by cuttings or take a long time.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Do they have nice, large glossy green leaves like the larger ones? I noticed several of the dwarfs have much narrower leaves....

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The leaf and flower are smaller. Mine was covered with snow & frost 2 weeks ago without any hint of damage. You could probably find a protected spot. The scent is worth trying.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have dwarf gardenia. Any branch touching the ground roots very easily so you might want to take some nice sized lower limbs,scar the bottom side of the stem,dig a shallow trench beneath it,bury the stem(still attached and right next to momma plant),weigh it down with something then mulch over to cover up any unsightly machanics of your propagating process.

Peggy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.