Trained a tree into a vine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I have a gabel archway that I built between me and the neighbor,and took a caltalpa seedling trained it to follow the arch all the way around it like you would a vine,few years later this is what you get,and when its in flower it awlful purity.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Better shot.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Wow! That's gorgeous! It does look like a vine!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Great idea, I have one I'm teaching to be a fat little flat topped dwarf - just started last year. No pics but soon.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

very nice photo, and a wonderful idea, I have a few seedlings now and was wondering what to do with them all, perhaps that is something i can try :)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

What a neat idea!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Guys,
Ohio take a couple and make an arch with them if possible.
I like trying things like that,I'm also pruining trees to look like palm trees from a distance,I even tie them back for a while to get a bend in the trunk to give it the sway look!!!
Watching the news about bee swarms in town about 5 of them today,and this guy comes and collects them and sells them to growers in Texas,50 bucks a swarm.They landed in trees and he gets a trash can puts the branch inside the can shakes it and the bees fall in trash can then he dumps them in a wood colony hut hive what ever they call the houses.
And he never even got stung today!

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Funny you saw that. I was watching the news a couple days ago and they were saying farmer's were having to buy honey bee's for crop pollenation. They also said pesticides have really decimated the bee populations bigtime.
Great picture too btw. Is that a Magnolia?
Very cool

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Very cool idea, I have just gotten seedlings up about 4 days ago, so it could be awhile till I can start training them, never grew catalpa from seed, so we will see how they go. And yes, I do believe I will give it a try, thanks for the post, keeps us thinking on new ways to create some cool "trees" or "vines" as specimens!!
Laurrie

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Laurrie I will.
Jeff thats a catalpa tree look at the heart shaped leaves,it was real purity until the hail stome beat it silly!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.