Violets

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It's a love/hate thang!

This is Viola canadensis. The buds start out pink and fade to white after they open.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

St. Francis watching over them.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

"Freckles"

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This is a different color Viola tricolor that popped up in my path.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

'Priceana'

I like this one. It still spreads like a weed but the flowers are very showy.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The yellow violet. This one doesn't do as well for me and has been hanging on by a thread for a couple of years now.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This is weedy little violet that grows in my neighbor's lawn. I'm not sure if it's the regular wooly violet or if it's a different species.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

And a white one in my neighbor's lawn.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

And my weedy, dark purple violet.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i am in love and so is my daughter. wow wish we had some of those here. we are making here a violet bed. great looking stautue too.

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Hello Sue. May I ask where you got the 'Freckles' violet? I have seen only one other picture and was happy to see yours, actually growing. Very cute!

Jean

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Gosh... I can't remember where I got Freckles. I think someone gave it to me ... or it might have been a local plant sale. At first it didn''t seem to do anything but now I see they're coming up all over the place.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread!

Superb shots Poppysue, we have a St. Francis statue in the borders too. Our 'Priceana' has finally bitten the bullet, I have no idea why, such a beautiful plant too :( Any idea what the Violas in the neighbours lawn are or are they all varietas of the woolly violet?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I was hoping you might know, Baa! I have no idea. I think the white one is prolly a wooly violet but the lavender one might not be. The lady that lives there has gone in for surgery and asked me to pick up her mail. I never noticed them before but she has them all through the lawn. They get mowed with the grass. They're much lighter colored then most of our weedy wooly violets. ... maybe I'll snitch a plant the next time I go over so I can examine it more closely ;)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

What absolutely lovely flowers these are - great shots too :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dea,

There's not much happening in my garden at the moment - LOL.... so I take pictures of the weeds and bugs!

Apparently on a lot of Viola species it's the spur that can aid ID the best, if you get a description I'll try and match it with a book description

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.