Bluebells alongside Bluebell Beck

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Our native bluebell is under threat. But here is a group I found last night near Bluebell Beck, near Middlesbrough. From the name of the area they must once have been plentiful. But all I could find last night were a few dozen.

Thumbnail by Northerner
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Northener, what threatens those beautiful delicate plants? Collecting? Housing? Climate change, not enough water?
Thanks for the post.

Climate change maybe. Man's interference - too much indiscriminate picking probably.

But one of the biggest threat's is also due to man's interference. The introduction into our gardens of a foreign invading plant, the Spanish Bluebell. Our native bluebell is very sensitive to small changes in its environment. Its rival, the Spanish bluebell is much more tolerant and hardy. The Spanish Bluebell is larger and showier - popular in gardens - but it has no scent.

When the Spanish Bluebell and our native plants meet the two species breed - the offspring have the Spanish Bluebell genes and are fertile. The result is a whole carpet of Spanish Bluebells in a wood instead of our native bluebell. Our native bluebell may be gone within a few years. There are attempts to reseed the woods with the native plant, and surveys and studies to try and save it. I just sent off two postcards this morning giving locations of two sites, part of a local survey. Very sad.

Very pretty pics Northerner, it's good to find the real bluebells isn't it!

It certainly is! I put my head down to the level of the bluebells and had a good sniff. Heavenly!!!!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Very nice! They look so delicate! What's the latin name for the native bluebells?

This message was edited Jun 6, 2004 11:42 PM

Hyacinthoides non-scripta. There were still some out when I was at Farndale at the weekend. They're almost finished now though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.