Why won't my falls, fall?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

This iris has had 3 blooms. Only one of them had the falls come down into a normal position. What do you suppose this is about?

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

In my garden, irises will sometimes be slow to unfurl if the weather is particularly cool when they start to open. Another thing that can affect proper opening (and formation and color) of iris blooms is RoundUp damage. Is it possible your iris caught some RoundUp drift from spraying, either in your own garden or in a neighbor's garden?

Laurie

Well, they aren't just slow to unfurl, they didn't do it at all before the blossom died. My neighbors all have summer cabins up and down the mountain and none close to this rock garden, so it can't be Round-up. I haven't used any Round-up this year, either....Very puzzling......

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

IF YOU HAVE COLD WEATHER WHEN THE IRIS BLOOM IS JUST STARTING TO MAKE STEM IT DOES THAT. HERE IT GOT IN THE 80 IN FEB. THEN HARD FREEZES, I GOT A LOT THIS YEAR THAT JUST WOULDN'T OR COULDN'T DO THERE THING . PEONYS DO THAT HERE MOST OF THE TIME.THEY GET TO HOT AND WON'T OPEN ,JUST DRY UP ON STEM .MOTHER NATURE JUST REMINDING US WHO IN CHARGE

Well, we did have that same weather phenomenon. It got warm, followed by some hard cold freezes. But this is the only iris not releasing its falls. It almost looks like a parrot tulip.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.