A Walk in the woods today...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

These are just some of the lovely wildflowers blooming now. Sure wish I had by wildflower book here!

First one is a wild solomon's seal

Thumbnail by darius

This white flower is very tiny... maybe the size of a dime.

Thumbnail by darius

Tiny blue flower somewhat like the white one above in size.

This message was edited May 14, 2004 5:38 PM

Thumbnail by darius

Darker version (?) of the Catesby Trillium.

Thumbnail by darius

Wild Viola of some kind? I love the streaking on the leaves.

Thumbnail by darius

And an interesting fern. The fronds all grow in a semi-circle! (Hard to tell in the photo, though.)

Thumbnail by darius
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Darius, the fern is maiden hair fern. I think the trillium is probably a differen species than the Catesby, but I'm not sure which. On the little blue flower, what were the leaves like? The dark leaves with the white stripes at the base of the fern look like spotted wintergreen leaves, but the flower looks like a blue-eyed grass, Sisyrinchium, a member of the lily family. the leaves would be grassy looking. That is definitely a wild viola, but I'm not sure which one. Melissa is always throwing things like that at me, and you are both far enought south that the species are different!

eNature.com has a pretty good wild flower search engine. You might try there.

I think I want to come and walk through your woods!!!!

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh my, Darius. What a wonderful gallery. I'd be crawling on my knees trying to identify them all. In Back of Beyond looks like paradise to me!!!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Darius, love your Back of Beyond, the leaf on the viola would be lovely in a garden wouldn't it? Of course, I know better, but they don't live in my woods. Too dry I guess. Enjoyed the gallery. Keep posting. Blooms here.

Kathleen I didn't see any noticeable leaves on the tiny blue flower.... I know the nursery kind of blue-eyed grass, and this doesn't really look like it.

Also I meant to point out the wintergreen in the blue flower photo. There are lots of them in the woods here!

Blooms... Yes, it's a lovely leaf on the wild viola. I'm afraid it would get lost in a garden, though... it's SO small.

Saw lots of wild geranium, too. Who knows what I may have seen had I ventured farther! The Flame Azalea is almost spent and I plan to try some cuttings.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

A violet of some sort. I love them too!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I think your violet is a southern wood violet - they have a purply marking in the center according to Roger Tory Peterson.

After I looked again, that is quite definitely not blue eyed grass. Oh, and blue eyed grass is an iris, not a lily. lol

Here's more. The native laurels are blooming.

Thumbnail by darius

Some kind of a native bellflower? It's really very tiny, too.

Thumbnail by darius
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Does your little blue flower have a square stem? I think I saw these at one of the Civil War battle sites that we visited with Melissa and Adam last spring. Some kind of a mint? Or a sage? Very neat woods you have there!

Katleen, perhaps I need to go back and take a closer look at he little blue flower!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.