shade cloth ideas for screened porch

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello,

I have some orchids and epi cacti that I want to take out on my screened porch for the summer. However, I receive full sun on the porch in the afternoons. Does anyone know of a shade cloth mini blinds? How much % shade should the cloth be? Basically I am looking for something tasteful that will provide enough shade so that the plants won't burn. I am not opposed to making something either. Thanks!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's an "off the top of my head" idea..try the adjustable extention rods for shower curtains, buy enough shade cloth to over lap by an inch or two and fasten it by sewing it with the plastic string they sell for use with shade cloth at the top...like a rod & pocket curtain.Then you can draw the shade cloth during the sunniest part of the day and open in the evening if you want it out of the way....you can make it as long as you need to :floor length or shorter. You could use fancy curtain rope to pretty it up or whatever your decor is ...rope, hemp,ribbons or bows. The shade cloth does come in different colors but mostly green or black. You could just buy cheap dollar store thin curtains/drapes and hang them...they come in a lot of colors,styles and are so cheap it might be better than shade cloth.

Well, post some picks of what you do decide on...I'd love to see the orchids.

Columbia Station, OH

A black shade cloth will add heat to your house try aluminet it will reflect light not absorb it making it coller.
wayne

Long Beach, CA

These are great ideas. Gives me something to think about!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.