Dividing Peonies

Linden, TN

When is the best time to divide peonies. I have a hedgerow that I would love to split up and place some of them elsewhere.

thanks,

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Depending our your zone and when the plant is dormant. Here in our area in Wisc. it is usually done in Aug. Although I have moved them anytime, but they won't generally bloom the first yr. after moving although , I have had them bloom, just to call me a liar!!
What colors are your peonies?

Hope I made my self sufficently clear for you on the plants.

Maxine

Linden, TN

Maxine, all of my peonies are medium pink. I rescued them from the farm across the road one year way down in the fall. The folks had sold the farm to a Real Estate company and the homesite got sold. Well the new owner decided to fence in the area that the peonies were and so I asked if I could dig up a couple of clumps...He said sure because he did not care a fig for flowers anyway. They are really nice,but I would love to be able to take some out and plant other colors in their place. I intend to try to do a swap for different colors,etc. I am now photographing them as they are beginning to bloom for me.

I will be looking for some white, red, well heck actually I want any that don't look like the ones that I have. Here is a picture of the one that I do have...

Thumbnail by lindenlady
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That is gorgeous!

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, lindenlady! I have a few different colors. No pics this year-too many health problems for a lot of gardening this year. I have a single white that is so fragrant it will knock your socks off! I have a deep mauve that is also very fragrant. I have a sinle pink that has a yellow center-not fragrant, but gorgeous! I could divide roots this Sept., if you're interested. Just send me an e-mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.