Seed grown peony.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This is the first time this one has bloomed-not even completely open really. It has a very pale pink-peach cast to it.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It is gorgeous Badseed, how long did it take to get to blooming size? You havta be proud!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sue! Honestly I did not sprout the seeds. I got them in a trade when they were a few inches tall. I think I have had them for two years.

Here is another, in between rains. This one actually bloomed last year. I love the color.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The singles are beautiful. The yellow in the second one really 'pops'!

That is great they bloomed so quickly. I had to wait the standard three years for mine. And now I baby/hover over them. Last year when the window washers came, I actually kept looking to make sure they were not putting their ladders on them! I told DH - if we ever move, THOSE are coming with me!

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

I got some seed this year from my first peony. I am hoping to be able to germinate them. I will try and let you know how this works out. Thanks for sharing this information. I was wondering if the seeds would sprout. Have a wonderful day, Robbie

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I have a few baby peonies that re-seeded in my garden. I'm surprized to see they came back this year. Last year they were only one leaf... this year they aren't much bigger - LOL. I'll try to remember to snap a photo when I'm out.

Brookfield, IL(Zone 5a)

Badseed - Is that a bright coral/salmon wouldja call it? It looks similar to one I have whose name I don't know. It has absolutely no fragrance and unusual seed pods compared to my older ones. ??

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's one of my re-seeded babies on it's second year. The momma is Krinkled White.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue you be nice! See it has four leaves! LOL I think when I got mine, they had two leaves each. I have about 6 of them I think. I'm wondering if the others will bloom this year. I'd guess you have another year or two to see yours bloom. I wonder what they might have crossed with?

Earth, the dark one is more like a dark bubble gum pink. The other has just a cast of peachy pink.

I wish I could get good pics of them. Every time they open, they get pelted by rain, including last night! LOL

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

This may be a goofy question... I'm not that peony-savvy. Where are the seeds on the peony plants? Are they in the little pods that are left after the bloom falls apart? If so, I guess I have massive quantities as my peonies bloomed like crazy this year. Also, what is the proper way to harvest these seed? Should they be dried before planting? Started in pots, or planted straight in the ground? Thanks!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm bumping this because I have a question about peony seeds. My tree peony is done blooming and each dead bloom has these 5 or 6 "pods" sticking up in the center. Will I get seeds from these and if so, how long do I need to wait? Until the pods dry? Will they open up like Columbine and scatter? I'd love to try these from seed - of course who knows what I would get if anything. I don't know if it is grafted - probably was.

Thanks for any advice on the seeds.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I have always waited until the pod is just opening, the seeds are almost black

best sown fresh for quick germination ,, if they dry out. they can take a year or more to germinate.

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I just bought my first peony last yr. and it has about 5 blooms on it now, but I was under the impression that it took yrs for them to bloom when you started from seed. From what I'm hearing from ya'll, that must be bad info. and last yr. I was so pleased with the smell of my white blooms the wife had to cut them for the kitchen table. Bad move. This yr. I'll get some seeds and give them a try. Thanks for the info. Mike

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks bootandall. I will keep my eye out for them to pop.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know where that pale pink single one went. I do have a new one blooming though! This is the first time I have seen this one.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This is the dark pink single after a rain beating. LOL I nearly missed seeing it this year. The flowers were almost spent when I remembered to get a pic.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

How did I miss this??
Chele
you are so good!!!
you guys have inspired me to plant my peony seeds

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I actually did not start these from seed. I traded for seedlings. LOL I sort of cheated. I like them though. :)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Its so weird
After reading this,I was out in the garden weeding
and I found a baby peony
I didn't plant it
and its coming up right up against a clump of ornamental grass
(not a good thing)
I don't know how to get it away from the grass
they have very thick roots
its only one leaf
about 3 feet away is a double pink peony
so I bet thats Momma
It make me more determined to plant some seeds
IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL CC! Can you not shove a spade down between them and rescue it so it can live and be free and bloom?????

Weeping Water, NE

I have a neighbor that has a beautiful tree peony and she has not lived in that house for the last three years. Every weekend I would watch those seed pods and finally they opened with those great black seeds. I gathered and gathered, not knowing I should not have let them dry out. Should I bother with these now? Do I have any chance of sucess?

Blenheim, New Zealand

They sound just right too me . get them sown quick,

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

What kind of tree peony is it? What color and how big does it get? ~ Suzi :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Just popped into this forum and found this thread. Where on the peony 'bloom' do I look for seeds? This sounds interesting.

Weeping Water, NE

Sorry for the slow response, I was on vacation. The blooms were red but from what I have read, the plant you get from the parent plant will be different, that there is no way to tell what color you will get. Should I put these seeds in the ground now (zone 5)?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.