Weeping Willow???

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi guys....I have heard bad things about weeping willow trees. I don't remember exactly what, but it was enough to cause some concern before buying. I am wanting to plant one at the back of our yard. We have an above ground swimming pool in the yard also. I am worried that maybe the roots would be a problem with the pool?? Any ideas?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, they LOVE water.
They can grow into septic tanks and even into a pool. (I wouldnt worry about your above ground pool though). But, any tree can do that,lol.

Just make sure to plant them far away from your septic tank. These root very easily too. You can use the cast off water to help root other plants as well! ( i read you boil some willow limbs- or just soak some for a few days in water).
Very pretty trees!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I love my willow tree. It is young, but is so pretty. I have it planted where the ground tends to stay moister, and it is very happy.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes, their roots are extremely invasive. As trees go, they are also short lived.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Shallow rooted so easily toppled in heavy winds....but gorgeous.

(Zone 4b)

So romantic!!!! Its a MUST! Its not that terrible, just be wise about it......just like anything else eh?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Weeping willows are not the best trees for an urban landscape. They are too big with invasive roots and brittle branches.

If you live by a pond or lake and can plant the tree by the waters' edge, then plant one. If you don't have the space or moisture the tree desires, then in 15 years you will be sorry that you ever planted the tree because of its size and problems (it is an EXTREMELY fast growing tree - its growth is measured in feet per year, not inches.)

Yes, they are beautiful trees, but they need to be planted in the correct spot so they don't cause problems. Get used to picking up branches because willows drop them by the ton, constantly.
My .02
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.