Peppers Wilting

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I bought some 12 inch high peppers about a week ago and planted them (they actually have a few buds) in my growboxes. We have had strange weather here as of late. 85 days 60 nights and then a storm blew in (it BLEW) a lot of wind for a couple of days and now it is cooler. Down to like 55 in the day but still above freezing pretty well at night, tomatoes dont seem to like it much, squash has lost a little green and is showing some yellow, Pepper starts I grew seem fine and some of the store bought peppers (anaheim chili & ole Jalepenos) have lost leaves to wilt on the bottom... Is it the wind?

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Can sure relate to strange weather. Maybe you got the tail of our storm. Temps were up to a 100 then storm BLEW in and lowered temps again. Had brought in my baby peppers in pots that I was hardening off. Put them back out yesterday and then last night wind came up again, was probably gusting 60 or more mph, it woke me up around 2 ish. I thought I should go bring the babies in, but figured they either were handling it or already a lost cause. Went out first thing this am and all were ok. The only bought plant I have is a Jalapeno about a foot tall. The wind keeps beating it to death and it keeps hanging in there. I guess it is tougher than I thought it would be. I was sure it was a goner more than once. It's trying to hang on to blooms now. so we'll see. So don't give up on peppers. I think they are pretty sturdy, though this is my first year to grow them. I have about 15 different kinds in various stages...But YES... the wind will chew up and damage the leaves!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.