climbing hydrangea

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

has anyone grown a climbing hydrangea vine? What kind of bloom do they have and what is the blooming period? I would like to put something on a brick wall near my large blue hydrangea.
Thanks,
Chris

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Chris i have one had it for 3 yrs now and it aint never grown more then a foot a yr. i have never seen mine bloom.

i fertilize it and everything but maybe i am doing something wrong. i wouldnt recomend it personally on my expierence with it.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I've heard they are very slow to start but if you stick with it they are very rewarding. I know very little about them and I would love to have a couple to see how they do.
I believe they are lacecap blooms.

Tracey

Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

I've had a very positive experience with my climbing hydrangea vine. It is about 5 years old and I'm training it along a wooden fence around part of my garden. It is slow to start, but now it grows at least 12-18 inches a year and I have to prune it to keep it in check. It is a strong vine and I wouldn't put it on anything fragile, but it is gorgeous when it's blooming. The faded flowers are still pretty as they dry. Japanese beetles like it if you have problems with them. I think it is worth the patience and a beautiful addition to the landscape.

Thumbnail by shudhave
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Great photo and hydrangea shudhave! Your garden looks lovely.

Tracey

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I have several growing along the North side of my split rail fence. Mine has finally bloomed after 5-6 yrs. of growth. It does take a lot of patience with these beautiful plants, but it is well worth the show.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I think that I will forgo the climbing hydrangea. Don't want to wait such a long time for blooms.
thanks for your replys

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I just purchased a climbing hydrangea; japanese hydrangea. On my patio waiting to be planted. I have wanted one for a long time. going to make my shady side yard a project this year. got some sweet woodruff and varigated ??(56 year old memory failure)planted w/ ferns. I am going to try a Porcelin vine and chocolate vine in this project. Oh yes, I really truly am going to address the mess in the laundry room this long weekend. I promise. someone have a "gloriosa lily" they want to talk about?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.