You all are giving me the desire

Linden, TN

to start all over again with growing Iris. I had all but given up on growing iris after a horrible incident involving a couple that purchased the farm that we had. We had built a smaller home on a smaller piece of acreage. (Went from 2500 sf on 99 acres to 1600 sf on 7 acres.) We prepared a new bed for our collection of named iris and had an oral agreement with the new owners of our farm that we had several months to go back and removed any of the iris that we wanted. We had over 1000 different Iris and all were named and tagged. We returned in less than 3 weeks only to find that they had been all plowed under. To say the least, it made me wish to hurt someone...but I somehow lost the desire to grow iris again. I did manage to save a hybrid that was from my grandmom and one other named Iris, "Roman Lover". But those I had potted up before we moved. The only satisfaction that I got from that entire debacle was that we ended up forclosing on them after they failed to make payments. My health deteriorated for a bit, but now I am doing very well and have beat the odds and am now looking forward to starting a new iris garden. My dear husband and I will be going to lots of Iris Sales and swap meets this summer to see if we can get a good start on a new Iris Bed. Thank you for giving me a push in the right direction and making the ol juices flow again lusting for these lovelies.

Here is a photo of my "Roman Lover".

A big Hug to you all.

Thumbnail by lindenlady
Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Lindenlady

What a horrible thing to have happen! I don't blame you on feeling like not collecting again. You can probably get a bunch here at dg, just keep watch on this forum and maybe even plant trading.

LimeyLisa Kay

Linden, TN

Thanks Limeylisa,
Oh, I have already sent for a couple of Catalogs from major growers. lol Even my DH is starting to get into the idea of starting all over again. I will be looking for a few old time faves like "Lacy Snowflake", "Chief Hematite", "Lace Jabot", "PT Barnum", "Superstition", "Titan's Glory", and of course I just got to have a "Victoria Falls"...

The wheels are turning and the desire is there....but with a limited income, we will be hitting lots of local Iris Soc. sales. We used to get lots of them from them and it is satisfying to be able to buy from local orgs, and help to fund them too. Maybe when we get a bit of "Inventory" built up, we can trade for some more named varieties on our "Hot to Have List"....

I am finding that the more time I spend out in the gardens, weeding and cleaning and discovering forgotten joys that I planted there some years back before my health spiraled downward, that I am feeling better and better, both mentally and physically. And now that I am back and doing well, I plan to grab all the gusto that the Good Lord sees fit to allow me and I shall be reaching for His Blessings with both hands...

Carolyn

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Carolyn,

I've been adding to my iris collection, which isn't very big mind you, maybe 30 maybe 20 not sure, I just went to a lady's house here where We live, who sells her iris's there's two diff ladies here that sell their iris's, one lady names hers the other one doesn't. I have victoria falls. Though it hasn't bloomed yet, thinking it ws too small to bloom this year. I bought about l5 diff varieties the other day. a 4.00 pot had about 6 or 7 ryzomes , 2.00 pot had l / or 2 rizomes. maybe you can find someone in your home town that sells off their iris's. I'm hoping for a iris coop soon like the one they had last year. I'm gonna mop up LOL

that's a sad story about your iris's, why can't people appreciate the beauty of flowers, and at least try to find homes for something like that, I can't believe they plowed them all under. I've heard several stories like yours from daves garden members. If I ever move, their going with or I'm not going LOL

take care

kathy

Linden, TN

I am quite sure that I will be able to find lots of Iris at the local Iris Society's Iris sales.....I got started growing them that way many, many years ago...and will be okay...I have a few peeps that have come forth and donated a few named varieties for me to get back started again....(I think they were afraid I would change my mind and decided to let me have just a taste to keep me pumped..lol) I have no intention of ending up with 1000 different iris...but then, I didn't plan it that way the last time either...hahaha....It is sooo darned difficult for me to say no to a lovely iris... I have lots of named daylilies that I will be offering to trade out for named iris as soon as I can verify them for sure....Lots of them are budding out and so I will soon be able to do that. This time around though, my dear husband seems to be more interested....and that is terrific...that way I can let him pick some out that he likes and not feel a bit guilty....

There are lots of folks out there that have lovely iris, but the few that I have asked, are reluctant to share them for whatever reason....so I sort of quit asking...but that's okay too...We shall soon be weeding out our beloved iris... *smile*

Carolyn

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Carolyn,
Your experience above is what scares me most about moving. If I came by some day to find it all tilled, I'd just die! Are you only looking for named ones or a variety of colors and sizes? Let me know.
Michele

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You know, Ill have to check with our iris society as well, Of course the person I bought all mine from was president of the iris society, and always wins in the contests too. LOL so I guess I need to stay where I"m at. LOL

kathy

Linden, TN

Badseed, I am happy with ANY Iris, but it is so nice to know the name of it where ever possible...I do love to trade with other people and have done a lot of trading in the past. But most folks want to trade named for named....
Even when I donated a box of rhizomes for a local Vol. Fire Dept. fundraiser some years ago, I was very surprised that folks wanted to know the name of the iris....and I ended up bringing many of them home again...
I never, ever turn down an iris of any sort. I have 7 acres to play with and like stray animals, I just cannot turn any away...lol... I ended up giving a home to several really nice ones that I just don't have a clue about and they are about to bloom for the first time this spring....One looks like it might be a peachy color.....
Hope so, love peach iris....

Carolyn

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Honey, if you are willing to take un named I will get some out to you in a few weeks. Nearly all of ours were freebies with no names and I will be glad to share with you. We have several that we need to get thinnned out to make room for more new ones and just to keep them blooming well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.