Help my Piggyback!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Something is wrong with the poor little guy. What do you think it is?? It just all the sudden started being droopy and sad. No change in environment since I bought it at Easter. It seemed to love the location in the fairly dark/sometimes low window light/kitchen light space I put it in and has now started to hate it. I watered it in hopes that was it, and it just got worse.

Please help me, I dont want to lose it. Thank you for any help. Susanne

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

Maybe it knows that it is time to play outdoor?

they like it outside? where should I put it?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Shade. These things are not sun lovers. I have crispy crittered more than my share. I keep wondering why I keep it but it reminds me of my misbegotten youth. I have trouble with spidermites on this plant too. I would not be without mywhiskery pigs.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Was the dirt dry before you watered it?

As far as I remember it was dry, but I wouldnt say bone dry...or maybe it was. I would say on a scale from 1-10 it was a 2-3 dry. lol What does it really like? I've gotten mixed impressions from the database.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't actually grow this particular plant. I'm just working off general problems. i.e. too much water, a draft, change in light or temperature, etc... bugs?

No bugs. Hm, maybe it was a draft. I did keep the a/c extra low this past weekend while I had visitors. Maybe that's it. So maybe I should leave it inside while it gets used to the normal temp again?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I read on another thread (can't remember which one) that if the problem is overwatering, the poster had great success with watering with a high percentage of hydrogen peroxide. That seems to put more oxygen into the root system. Their plant perked up with 15 minutes.

interesting....

hydrogen peroxide didnt help. its looking even droopier. :(

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Oh, I'm so sorry. That was my best help. :( Keep us posted.

I've already taken a few this past week, but should I take some cuttings and see how they do in case it bites the dust?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I only see one leaf that even has a baby pig coming up so I do not think cuttings will be very successful. Do you have a really shady place outside for it? I keep my pig moist but not wet. It is outside in deep shade. I had a major die back this year and thought it had croaked for sure but it is making a comeback. I give it some osmocote every three months or so. It seems to do better when i do not pay too much attention to it. You can kill this one with kindness.

Good luck!

Good to know, I think I'll stick it out there tomorrow morning-- right now we're having a big storm! I'll try to be less loving, lol, thats hard to do! I took off most of the leaves with baby pigs this past week, but just now I took off 2 more and hopefully some of them take! I'd like to share them if they do.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have found with houseplants, to scoop out, from the outside towards the insides, gently, the soil, to help loosen it, then give it a good feeding. It seems to help mine come out of their droopiness or depression that they seem to go through at times. If you do it gently, you won't cause any harm. Do it from the far side of the pot, just giving it nudges towards the inside, to help looosen things up.

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

Art, I had the same thing happen. I love these plants & they are not easy to find. a few years ago, I bought one & it dried up. I couldn't figure if I over or under watered it. Finally it looked so awful I cut it all back & tossed it out in my shade garden & it took off! I now have piggybacks everywhere in my yard in planters along my stream. I have given many away too. So if yours does croak, let me know I'll send you a rooted start. Bj

Thank you all so much for the help! Karrie I did what you suggested. And thank you for the kind offer Bj, hopefully mine will come back to life- but if not I'll take you up on that :)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

((((hugs)))) for you and your plant! love ya dear!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.