Does Anybody know if Stonecrop Sedum will harm Daylilies?

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

I have Stonecrop sedum that has completely overtaken a big flower bed, covering the Orange Verbena and obliterating the sea of Bachelor Buttons and Cockscomb I had last year. Hmmmm....not so horrible, but it has surrounded my 15 Daylilies. The lilies look fine, are big and full and fluffy and are just beginning to bloom. Do I have anything to worry about? Should I have the Sedum removed from amongst the lily plants?

It's surrounding a large Juniper bush now too and wonder if it can do it any harm?

This is scary stuff!

In this pic, the fluffy green at the far end of the bed are the lilies before they began to bloom. You can see how this stuff completely filled the bed, which was half empty last year!

Thumbnail by DivaSharon
erie, PA(Zone 5a)

Don't have an answere for you but do have some questions about Stonecrop Sedum maybe you can help me with. I have a fast growing ground cover with small ruffled green leaves about 6" high and tiny blue flowers covering my rosebed. Someone told me this is a type of sedum that was once widely used as a ground cover but fell out of favor as it is so invasive . Is this like what you have and also will it choke out other plants? Every time I see this stuff I think of the movie "Day Of The Tiffids", not a good thought. However, this stuff is so thick it is keeping the weeds out.

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Snipper, if it's a type of Sedum, which you should look up on the plants database, it is going to be very invasive, but I'm just learning about it myself.

So far, what I know about mine is that it has wiped out not only the weeds, but I don't expect the orange verbena or cockscomb to return. It has halfway covered several bushes, but they seem to be surviving. So far, my lilies are fluffy and blooming, right in the middle of all that stuff. I am watching it carefully to see if it's going to choke them off.

I really need an answer to that question myself! If it's going to kill things I want, out it goes! But I will contain it to that one bed with brick edging and keep it trimmed back.

This stuff looks like a tidal wave to me... here is another picture of it engulfing my Juniper...Yikes!

Thumbnail by DivaSharon
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Snipper, does the foliage have a smell to it. What you are describing sounds like what we call Creeping Charlie. Very bad stuff. Here are some images of Creeping Charlie.
http://images.google.com/images?q=Creeping%20Charlie&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, guys, this question should have been in another forum, not this one! I'm sorry! I'm new and made a boo boo!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

OHHH Diva!!! I LOVE that sedum!!!!
It's reallllllllllllllly pretty and lush looking!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

hey its ok, I didnt even notice. If you want it moved, just email Terry on the contact us link on the very bottom (i think)

I love that deep red tree, is that a kind of redbud?

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Crimson! I love that Sedum too. But I have to keep it under control or it will take over the whole yard! I found some on the other side of the yard now! It just flies around and takes root! LOL

Art, that red tree is Flowering plum tree. After it flowers, the leaves turn red. I will post a couple of pics for you to see it before and after...

Thumbnail by DivaSharon
Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the flowering plum after the flowers were replaced by red foliage....

Thumbnail by DivaSharon
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Gosh, that doesnt look like the stonecrop I have (I know there are many kinds tho). Mine will smother everything in its path, but it pulls up so easily that its not a problem.
Heres what mine looks like. http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/23852/

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a similar sedum. It DOES spread like crazy, but I like it to do that in the area I have it planted. However, there are a few other plants mixed in with the sedum and I have to really keep an eye on it (the sedum). I always pull mine back away from any plants I want to keep so it doesn't crowd them out. This isn't the type of plant that you can plant-n-forget. You really have to watch it. Just take your hoe and pull it back/cut it off wherever you don't want it. You're definitely not going to hurt the sedum! lol I don't think there's anything in the sedum that harms other plants. I think it's just the fact that it's so aggressive and spreads so fast that harms other plants...crowd them out. Good luck.

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, thanks for the help!

erie, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link Brugie, what I have is definitly creeping charlie. I pulled as much of it out as possible and added more mulch to smother it as well. Sorry it took me this long to get back here ,but I was out for awhile for some cancer treatments but now its back to digging and weeding. Hey Diva really nice tree and yard. You must be very pleased with your handywork.

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Snipper, but I honestly didn't do anything! Except for the grass, this stuff you see takes care of itself!

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

btw, the Day Lilies seem to be doing great! Lots more flowers than last year. I can't really pull the Sedum back because I can't just get in there and get all stung by the bees and have the creepy crawlies all over me! Yikes! Iwill have some cut back when the season is over...and I will just watch somebody else do it! LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hmmmm , I have been buying everykind of sedum I can find and planting it. Now I am beginning to wonder if I did the wrong thing.

Patricia

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Jerodsmom, Sedum is beautiful, but just don't let it grow right over other things you want, that's all!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I know that plant in your photo very well - my garden is currently under seige by this same extremely aggressive plant. It's a fooler - initially it seems so cheerful and willing (we gardeners like that in a plant). But I swear this little bugger will grow out of a rock. It does have a shallow root system, but it is tough to control.

I am currently using heavy layers of newspaper covered with mulch to try to do away with the bit we still have in the garden. I hope to erradicate it all. If that fails, I have a test area in which I am going to carefully paint a bit of Roundup on the sedum to see if that is effective - without harming plants nearby. We used this method for some out-of-control ivy and it worked well. I never, ever spray Roundup. I sometimes use very small brushes from the hobby shop for painting the tight areas.

This message was edited May 26, 2004 4:57 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I don't think it's possible to kill this stuff - even mulching it with newspaper. My old house had this sedum all over the garden beds. I pulled and pulled and pulled the stuff trying to get rid of it.

Once, not paying attention to what I was doing, I set down a handful of it inside a storage cabinet inside my shed and shut the doors - no soil on the roots. More than a month later I went into the cabinet to get something and it was still alive. I used to say it would live on the surface of the moon.

Anyway, I don't think it hurts any other plants, it's just a royal pain the way it spreads everywhere.

I never tried Roundup. Knowing this sedum, it will probably thrive on Roundup.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.