Weak stalks Cold damage?

Advance, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi knowledgeable ones! I'm new to the forum and have really beem impressed with the posts. I need your help. I have several TBs that were putting up stalks, only to have the top six inches or so suddenly get weak, and flop over. We did have some low 30's a few days ago, but others have done fine, and some were blooming right through the cold. The ones in question didn't get very tall - about a foot - as if development was arrested. Lady Friend, an EE, and Stairway to Heaven, also very early, were the first, but now I have noticed it on three others. I have assumed it was the cold temp, but also wonder if the caster oil based vole repellant I put down when they were planted affected them. Saw no warning that it would. I would assume I didn't plant them early enough and they didn't get their roots established well, except that two cultivars were two years old. Any ideas?
Also - Immortality (a new one from the garden center) tried to open two bloom at the base of the plant! No stalk, just blooms! TIA any help.
Ragan - North Carolina Zone 7

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Sounds like your stalks froze. A late frost got a couple of my iris too. Mostly discolored leaves but a few browned buds. Cut off the damaged portions, & wait to see what happens.

I wouldn't think the vole repellent would be an issue.

As for Immortality blooming at the base of the stalk--wierd!
I don't know what to make of that.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

They were discussing a similar phenom on the bulb forum regarding hyacinth and daffs. Someone said that it was from the temperature. They bloom at a certain temp even if they haven't attained full height. The 30's then 70's then 40's then 80's will do that. Maybe it does it to irises as well.

LimeyLisa Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.