Lords and Ladies in the Kildale Woods

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello everyone! Very pleased to have found this forum! I go on walks in the countryside at the weekends. These Lords and Ladies were taken at the weekend in the Kildale Woods. Kildale is in the Cleveland Hills in North Yorkshire.

Thumbnail by Northerner
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Lords and Ladies...that's an appropriate common name! :)
Are these some type of wild taro?

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

What a splendid clump of Arum maculatum! Very beautiful. You have to go there again in Autum to see their red fruits;) Thank you for sharing.

They're also known as Cuckoo Pint! Yes, they're Arums. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to ripen! I amy visit the spot later this year (depends on whether I have time) but I've no idea of when exactly to go. I have to take a train to get there - it's not exactly next door!

They have many names one being 'Kitty come down the lane jump up and kiss me' among others in a similar vein *G* We're lucky enough to have these as occasional weeds in the garden.

Goldenfish is right they ripen between late august to october down here in the tropics of England. The berries tend to get picked off pretty quickly too.

It's the same woodland area that I found the bluebells in. worth a couple of visits each year maybe? Autumn seems a good time to return, when the trees have the autumn tints on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.