Cattleya Orchid Questions

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I have 2 new Cattleya Orchids they are both in plastic pots one is in a 6 inch and 1 in a four inch. Can I repot both of them into an individual wooden hanging baskets ? Should I just set them in the basket with the plastic pot & medium they are growing in and repot next year?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lottie

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

http://www.orchidlady.com/repoting.html

HTH,
-Jennifer

Thanks;>)

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

My cattleya's dry out too fast when I grow them in baskets, so I like to use terra cotta pots. Just thought I 'd mention it.......

Sometimes Cattleya's resent being disturbed if it's not their season of growth. You should wait until you see your plant starting to make new green root tips and white roots before you repot it. (I've lost quite a few this way, until I figured out what I was doing wrong.)

Thanks for the tip on the baskets...for me I usually tend to over water everything so that might be what I want to do.
It might just save their life.lol
Lottie

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Hey Lottie - I wouldn't be surprised if you could successfully grow them mounted on cork or tree fern slabs, with a bit of sphagnum for padding. Bet it would work well with your watering - you might want to experiment some time. Definitely don't repot unless they are putting out new growth (both green and roots).

Thanks so much for the idea Keyring!
I think I will try it like that on one in my pond room. Exactly How much sun do cattleyas or phals need?
They can get filtered morning sun in my pond room that is filtered through unscreened white lattice...there is a 4ft light fixture right over them too. Think that will keep them happy?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

That light should be good for the phals, but your catts could probably use more light. Here in the DC area, we try to give them as much sun as possible, with some shade from midday sun. But, if you have mini cattleyas, they would be happy with about the same light as a phal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.