Runner Bean Question

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I posted this with a different Subject line on the Legume forum, but haven't gotten any responces, so I thought some of you may grow runner beans for their beautiful blossoms.

I had a "Sadie's Horse Bean" vine that got broken off about 1 and 1/2" from the base. It had no leaves left on it. I stuck the top in water, and kept the potted bean with it's 1 1/2" stick watered.

The top looks healthy, but no roots .......... is there any chance it will root?

The potted portion, is putting out a new vine ........... is this a fluke, or do beans do this.

I'm anxious to know, because the rest of my "Sadie's Horse Beans" got cooked in the greenhouse, and I'm hoping that they may do the same thing. I've cut off the damaged portions, which was all of the leaves, leaving only an inch or two, and am hoping there is a chance.

I don't seem to be able to find anything on the internet that would answer this question. It may be only something that can be answered by first hand knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Tree climber, I can't help you with the question. I've never heard of Sadie's Horse Beans. Hope it roots for you.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Ada,

Sadie's Horse Bean was a runner bean that Baker Creek offered this year.

Abundant Life Seed Foundation listed it in their 2003 catalog. Here is their description:
(75-80 days) Scarlet or white flowers loved by hummingbirds, to 8’. Enormous maroon and black seed, tan and brown, white, mottled, striped and speckled. A treat to shell-out. From a NC mountain family, over 100 years ago. Heirloom, Rare.

If I get seed to save this year are you interested?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.