The Siren Calls

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I call this yellow Iris, the Yellow Siren, because it's so bright in my garden of pinks and blues. Someone gave me this and I've no idea of its name.
I plunked them down on top of the soil in my south garden and chucked a shovelful of dirt over the top of their roots and for the previous two years they've bloomed tall and beautiful. This year they're still beautiful but they're blooming awfully short maybe in response to the sudden heat wave.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

This is closer up and I love the beards peeking out.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

As close to the tickler as I could get.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, BloomsWithaView! How much sun do you give your iris down there? Can they take full sun or do they need a little shade? I'm wondering if mine are not liking Utah's intense sun.

Claire

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Claire - EVERYthing benefits from a litle shade here in Moab. Except Russian Sage and Mexican Primrose which seem willing to grow even where I don't water.
My iris all live on the fringe of cottonwood shade, lots of sun without the direct hours of frying in it.
Down here the phrase "likes full sun' brings on gales of laughter. Blooms

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Even though it's not as hot where I am I still chuckle every time I go to the nursery and read plant tags that say "likes full sun." I always think to myself, "Yeah right, that's why they've got it sitting here in complete shade." Same goes for the plants that say "drought resistant" or "drought tolerant". It would be great if they could erect city-wide parasols in July and August so we'd have more plant options and use less water!

Claire

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Love the picture the parasols all over Pleasant Grove makes in my head, Claire Should we have them in competing colors or matching? Just being silly. Everything is getting its first drink from me today. The Iris got theirs this morning and were happier when the ever present wind dried their finery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.