New at growing garlic

Leesville, LA(Zone 8a)

I bought a garlic plant from a local nursery. The stalk is 3-4 feet high. How do I know when they are ready for use? What is the method for replanting? Do I take a the head of garlic, separate the cloves and replant? Can you tell me how long garlic takes to grow from clove until harvest-time? Thanks in advance!
~Dana~

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Dana, Garlic is taken apart and planted in cloves. Usually planting in our neck of the woods (KY) is fall time and then harvest the following July. I don't know about the stalk on your plant because usually the garlic you plant has been "dried" down some and all that is there is the bulb. It sounds to me like a clove that they planted last fall. I'd leave it in the container and take it out at maturity this summer, let it dry some and save it to plant in the fall. Kathy

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Dana, according to the information in the Louisiana planting guide, garlic is planted (here in Louisiana) in October and November and takes 210 days to maturity (that's about seven months?)

Since yours is a plant, the nursery must have planted the bulb back in the Fall, so you have a good head-start.

Let us know how it does!

Jean

Enkoping, Sweden

Plant the hole plant out and say in august you look if the bulb is big enough then you take it up and eat it and make sure that you eat even the green parts

Roger

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Roger, so good to see you here again. Has it been a long winter for you? I'll be anxious to hear about your pepper sales and such again. Happy Day, Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.