Bignonia Vine

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

I received a bignonia vine in a plant swap. I have no idea what I have. I have found a vine named bignonia capreolata. Does anyone have any idea what this vine is?

This message was edited May 4, 2004 8:56 AM

Thumbnail by Mimidi
Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Another picture.

Thumbnail by Mimidi
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/bica.html

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Mimidi,
It's hard to say. It definitely could be Bignonia Capreolata. I put a picture of mine down below. However, Bignonia used to be a huge class of flowering vines until they were separated one by one. For instance, Bignonia violacea, lavender trumpet vine, was changed to Clytostoma callistegioides. It probably is Bignonia Capreolata, Crossvine.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

I e-mailed the lady who sent it to me and she did tell me it was Bignonia Capreolata/ crossvine. I have moved it to a big pot until I decide what to do with it. I have never had vines and now I have this one, a regular old Alabama Crimson Honeysuckle(Trumpet Vine), a Clementis, and I am being given a Confederate Jassmine for Mother's Day. I am scared I am getting some plants that will give me headaches in years to come.

Mimidi, they all sound like lovely vines that will give you years of pleasure with little maintenance required. My Confederate Jasmine is blooming now and smells wonderful.

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

My daughter in law gave me two Condererate jasmines for Mother's Day. Now to get a trellis.

Here is a picture of one of mine:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Here's a different one:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pictures Clare. I have never had vines and now I have four. Besides the ones mentioned in this thread I have an Alabama Crimson Honeysuckle (what we call a trumpet vine and a native plant here) and a clemantis. Not a clue as to what I am going to do with them.

Working on some ideas for a arched trellis with a swing under it.

Mimidi, I really like the arched trellis with a swing under it idea. I saw an arched trellis with a bench under it at Big Lots for around $60. I don't know if you have a Big Lots near you. I would combine your Clematis with something else because it looks like a dead vine for most of the year except, of course, when it blooms. I'm going to combine mine with a Passiflora.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Clare, do you know how to root cuttings from the cross vine? I have some in soil and some in perlite/water. They aren't doing anything. Growing leaves tho, if that counts for anything. LOL!

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Another pretty picture Clare. I have a lattace fence around my pool filter and I planted some scarlet runner beans on it. Since you mentioned planting the clemantis with another vine how would it do to plant the clemantis among the beans.

We do have a Big Lots here.

Hi Shirley, it is a good sign if they are growing leaves. That must mean they are growing roots or about to. I am trying to root a cutting also in an Oasis cube. I don't think they are supposed to be difficult to root, but I had trouble this fall/winter. I think the best time to root a Crossvine cutting is when it is actively growing in the spring so I think we should be successful.

Mimidi, They would be fine together as long as you don't mind them being intertwined when the runner beans have finished. If you intend on pulling out the runner beans when they are finished, it might be difficult to tell which is the Clematis and which is the runner bean. Clematis can be cut back in the third and subsequent years so you could just cut the whole lot back at the appropriate time for your specific Clematis.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Clare. They will either live or die. I don't have time to worry about them right now and hopefully they can make it on their own.

Coppell, TX(Zone 8a)

Anybody know, is it okay to plant Jasmine next to a wooden fence? Will it hurt the fence? That's what I've been told, but I'm not sure.

I've never seen any type of Jasmine damage a wooden fence.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.