Is there any shady plants that butterflies like?

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7b)

Is it possible that hydrangea or frangrant viburnum would attract butterflies? They are shade plantings in OK. I have a client who wants a butterfly garden so badly, but doesnt have much sun in the area that we have to work with. I'm trying to get a couple of significant branches out of there (waiting for her and her hubby to battle that one out), but even so, I'm looking at max........6 hrs of morning sun. There will be a stone bed border for absorbing the warmth. Does anyone here have any suggestions at all?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

6 hours of sun isn't too bad... you should be able to grow anything that tolerates part shade.

Violets, dill & parsley would be some larval foods to include. Pearly ever lasting is another larval food. It prefers sun but if you're not too concerned about the flowers I'd give it a try. It attracts painted ladies. I'd also try a Buddleia, and some astilbes. And anything with a daisy shaped flower... ligularia, or leopard's bane would be good too.

A lot of the sunnier plants will do okay in partial shade. They may not thrive... but they'll still do okay. I wouldn't be afraid to try some of them and see how they do.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This OSU fact sheet has a lot of good info http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0012.html There are several plants it names for partial shade.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oak leaf and wild hydrangea both attract butterflys.

Tracey

Wow! When I posted this a while back, there was such a silence afterward that I was sure I had posted a truly silly question! LOLOL Well, thanks for the info. They did clear out a few more branches and so I think that she'll get her b-flies as dreamed. I planted 2 hydrangeas in the shadier areas to boot so we have a nice collection and she loves her new garden so life is good, eh? I'll post the pics.
Thanks again.............

Thumbnail by pancha

Here's another view.................

Thumbnail by pancha
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Butterflies love the shady parts of my house. I see alot of them in the woods. A shade butterfly garden would be a great project.

You just have to make sure you buy nectar plants that will tolerate or that grow in shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.