Cherry Trees

Staley, NC(Zone 8a)

I live in the Piedmont section of North Carolina. I planted 10 cherry trees about 5 years ago. Last year, they were covered with cherries. My wife and I were making cherry pies, freezing cherries and giving them to our friends. This year, they bloomed profusely, but four trees didn't develope leaves. They appear to be dead? Can anyone tell my why?

I did fertilize them heavily last year.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Did the trees w/no leaves also bloom?

Are those four trees more shaded than the other ones? Maybe they are just taking their time coming on w/the leaves. I'd suggest using your thumbnail and gently scrape off a piece of the bark...if it shows green underneath then wait for new growth. If they are dead there will be dark and hardened wood that snaps easily.

Hope it isn't too serious. (Any signs of borers entering the trunks?)

Staley, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi Horseshoe in Hillsboro,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, these trees put out a few leaves after blooming, but they are turning brown and dying. There is even some fruit trying to form.

There is some green left after using the thumb nail method. They are not in the shade. These are a selection of trees I purchased from Vernon Barnes Nursery. There are no borers in these trees. One of the trees died the same way last year.

I have some North Star Cherries that I purchased from Lowes that are doing fine. They have borers in them and just heal over and keep going.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"turning brown and drying"...

Could they be over-fertilized? Like a Nitrogen burn?

You've really piqued my interest in this. (Or I'm just plain nosey, eh?) :>)

Staley, NC(Zone 8a)

Could they be over-fertilized? Like a Nitrogen burn?

You've really piqued my interest in this. (Or I'm just plain nosey, eh?) :>)

I fertilized my little orchard heavy last year. The cherry trees, apples, peaches and pears did beautiful.

I believe you are correct. I didn't fertilize this year, but there was so much left over (17-17-17) that the cherries put out, and then it turned cold and dry. Seems like I read recently that cherrys are sensitive to fertilizer. My peach, pear and apples are loaded with fruit this year.

Thanks for your response.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well shucks...wish you could revive them. Maybe if we get enuff rain this year it'll wash away some of the overage of fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.