Spraying Kwanzan Cherry Trees

Midlothian, VA(Zone 7a)

Sure would appreciate info on control of disease and pests on Kwanzan Flowering Cherries. We just planted two in our Mid-Atlantic garden. Currently, we use Orthenex Disease and Pest control for our other shrubs and plants. Also, any growing info and type of pests/diseases these trees are suseceptable to would certainly be welcome. Thanks so much!

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I had a beautiful kwansan cherry tree for about ten years. I never did anything to it and the double pink blooms in the Spring were beautiful. Last year it died within about ten days after starting to wilt. I got three different opinions from professionals and they all said it was because we had so much rain, that the roots drowned. This was hard for me to believe that this tree could die so quickly. I recently read that kwansan cherry trees should not be planted in low lying areas. I didn't think of it as being a low area. I had planted the tree where I could see it from most of my windows. I have kept the dead tree and am planting a vine, passion flower,to grow into the branches.
Good luck.

This message was edited May 10, 2004 2:17 PM

Midlothian, VA(Zone 7a)

Dear Purplepetunia - thanks for your response...so far, the Kwansans are doing well...maybe they don't need spraying at all...we'll see. Sorry yours crashed on you...I would have been so upset...plants are like people!!! Especially after so many years...I suppose they could have drowned..it was very wet everywhere last year. But I would question the drowning thing too...Good luck with the vine replacement!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.