Here come the Dwarfs!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I was slowly deadheading my daffodils & old tulips when I found three delightful surprises in my flowerbed... my dwarf irises have started blooming! Only 6 inches tall with 2 inch blloms--the first of the spring!

Urban Star

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

And sweet Baby Blessed...

And the lovliest of all--Chanted! Note the peachy color & purple beards!

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are lovely -- and I agree with you "Chanted" is the loveliest of all. :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The dwarfs seem to do better for me than the TBs. Those are lovely, Wanda. I'm so glad spring has finally come!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Wanda, we're gonna have to 'visit' after I get back from my brothers. He has a blue dwarf that is too cute. I got my yellow dwarf from him too - it's already done blooming. P.S. sure was fun to meet you at RU!!!!

I have about 10 other dwarfs--I hope last night's frost doesn't ruin the buds! And at least the daarn "puppy" can't break off the stalks like he does running thru my tall beardeds!

Hey Kooger, if you come for a visit later in the month, we can both check out the Center Point Peony Garden for the fall co-op. Wouldn't that be fun?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Boy, great minds think alike. That was going thru my mind last night as I was falling asleep. Now that we are truckless, I don't get to a lot of places so easily. Wonder what excuse I can use to go to Cedar Rapids............

ME! And my Iris/Peony gardens in bloom! Isn't that enough of an excuse? Ha Ha We have a spare bedroom too if you don't want to drive it all in a day.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

My college roomie is just west of Waterloo and we're due for a yak, too... gonna have to think on this. :)

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Wandasflowers, it was such a treat to meet you and to drool over your photo album! IowaRon and I were taking notes for our wish list! (C:}

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

I love it when these little guys bloom so early in May! It seems impossible that they could happen so quickly after the snow melts and before much else is blooming, but they are great! This is the only color I have and after seeing your pictures I can tell that I need to make room for more!

Thumbnail by shudhave
Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

anahi, what is that plant on the right?
Verrrry pretty =)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Beverly - where are you? scooterbug - you'll have another addition if I tell you what it is!! lol

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

scooterbug the plant on the right is the fern leaf peony (double) It's just starting to open up in that photo. I'll post another picture when it opens. It's a great plant that is very carefree and easy. The foliage is great but it does die back in August. They are kinda expensive but long lived and well worth the price!
Kooger! WOW! You are an expert on that tatting! I just saw the picture in the round up forum! I'm soooo impressed. How many years have you been doing this? Lovely!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Actually started in 1979 when I had a cast on my arm and couldn't get it under the sewing machine. The next BH&G issue that came had tatting on the cover so I learned from there and have dabbled ever since. Doesn't take much to do, just time. :)

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Kooger.....As soon as all the plants are in the ground I'm gonna get back to the tatting. If not I might forget how to do it. It's the darn slipping of the knot that gets me everytime! This is something that you can take with you on a trip because it doesn't require alot of stuff to do it. Although the shuttle may be mistaken as a weapon on a plane! :) Bev

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

You were doing just fine - just need practice. It sure is easy to take along - if you get a plastic shuttle maybe they won't think it's a weapon? lol
sorry for the hijack here Wanda :(

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Back to the dwarfs...this is a little cutie just begging to be traded for a burgundy dwarf. Anyone interested?

Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

I would be delighted to trade! You can see the color of Burgundy I have in the post above. I have TONS of them!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

shudhave - would you be interested in trading for a yellow dwarf?

Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

Absolutely! I always end up putting some of my burgundy ones in the compost pile when I divide because my friends have started to pretend they're not home when I arrive with bags! I really hate wasting them, but they multiply so enthusiastically. I'd love to have yellow and I'll send you mine.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

shudhave - you've got mail!

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

shudhave, I was hoping you'd take the bait! I had my eye on that burgandy one all along! I've never done trades before, how is it done?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

two years ago, my son divided up bunches of my dwarfs and spread them around in various terraces he was building. This year, the first ones out are a reddish purple, and everyone of the expanded clumps has bloomed! they are wonderful! I have other clumps that are about to come out. pale blue, yellow and a beigey white. I can't wait!

Iowaron--love the garden statue & mixed plantings. Maybe my "midnight shopping" in your garden will find you short of statues AND plants! LOL

Anahi--what? haven't traded yet? I send out plants & get great plants back. I added over 40 daylilies & 30 irises that way. You have extra & share. Everyone wins for just the cost of postage.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Wanda - how large are the iris roots you send? I want to make sure I send enough to get a good start! I've traded but not irises and shudhave and anahi haven't traded at all so a bit of tips on iris trading would be appreciated. Please?

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Wandasflowers, you're a such a treasure! LOL :) Do you have any tips on trading? Bev

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

These little purple iris have a pretty blue beard.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

This is the only dwarf I have -- it is called "Yo Yo" I bought lots of this one from last fall's co-op and I love it . . .

Thumbnail by Alyssum

Here is a close up from the top:

Thumbnail by Alyssum
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Anahi, I have a purple, lt. blue, yellow dwarf iris's. I would like a fan of your white one if you wish to trade?

Maxine

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

maxine, you've got mail.

And Bedford Lilac just opened--this is so much fun! This little darling is so soft in color that it's easy to miss.

I LOVE the Burgandy iris Shudhave--want to trade??? Got lots of big & little & medium irises extras...

Looks like one of the pink dwarfs will open today. And the Intermediates are starting too.

I try to send at least 3 nice sized roots. Don't send one that just bloomed, but other ones. Trading can be such fun!

I'm putting in a whole new front row on one side & dwarfs are always welcome. Great pictures , everyone!

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, okay.... I'm just learning so hang in there with me...You say don't send the ones that just bloomed. do they only bloom once on that root and die or they won't bloom next year on that root? I'm starting to realize that the ones I have may not be dwarfs..They seem to be a little taller..Yikes! I need help!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

anahi,

I'm not Wanda, but perhaps I can help answer your questions. Each iris rhizome will only bloom once in its lifetime. In most cases, the rhizome will also grow additional rhizomes (increases) along its sides. These increases will then mature and produce future bloom and even more increases, which will continue the cycle. That's how a single rhizome grows into an entire clump of rhizomes. The bloomed (mother) rhizomes may (or may not) continue to produce increases for a while, but since they will not bloom again themselves, they should not be offered as trades.

As far as the type of irises you are growing is concerned, you can read descriptions of the various bearded classifications and other iris types at the following link:

http://www.irises.org/classification.htm

Happy irising,

Laurie

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh my goodness! I had no idea! I just thought they bloomed every year on the same root, like perennials. Thank you so much Laurie! I've got a feeling there's alot more to learn about iris....But I'm ready to learn! Thanks again! :) Bev

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The first SDBs of the season are starting to bloom here now. This is 'Cherry Garden'.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

'Irish Chant' has a few polypetal blooms. I love the blue beards...

Thumbnail by poppysue
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This dark beauty is 'Negra Modelo'

Thumbnail by poppysue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.