Snow Peas - help, please!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i planted snow peas in the garden about 10 days ago. didn't do anything special just tilled the area, made a trench, put the seeds in and covered them. they are about 1/2 tall. now what? do i use a fertilizer and what kind, how much etc. etc.
this is my first time with snow peas so need some help here. thanks. sorry, heading should read "snow peas help please"

This message was edited May 1, 2004 7:13 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Just give them something to climb. I usually do not fertilize mine but I expect any standard vegetable formulated fertilizer would be ok. My snowpeas are finshed for the year here. I grow them as a winter crop with the lettuce cause it is too hot and dry in summer.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Herbie, Luckily we all here at DG know morse code. :)

Our sugar snap peas are about 3 inches tall now. :) Grow the snow peas the same way. What we do (of course we have long rows), is put a stake at each row end and a few in the middle. Tie some good twine around your stakes at about 8 inch intervals, going all the way up your stakes. You don't have to do this all at once, just as your plants get taller. I think it is easier to get over at one time, but that's a personal choice. Your peas will find the string/twine and wrap its "fingers" around it and keep on growing. What fun to watch. You can also use trellis that comes in a roll or package.

Have fun, yum yum.. Kathy :)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8b)

If you plant a kernel of corn in with the peas they will climb up the corn and you will have two birds with one stone. I fertilize my entire garden once every two weeks and all my garden does great. I plant snow peas every year and absolutely love them.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thank you everyone. i will quote verbatim from the package "this variety can be grown without support. planting in double rows 6 inches apart will provide additional support where necesary." thats what i did. will see how it turns out.

grouchojl - what type of fertilizer do you use? is in granular like 5-10-10 or water soluble like m.g.?

kathy - can't wait to stir fry them with roated tomatoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.