Anybody still up that knows Excel?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm trying to finish up a project in excel, and I don't do excel very often and not at all until the last 2 months. If you can help with a formula I'd be forever indebted to you.

I'm doing a spreadsheet with a name at the left, and columns across, some columns are to be subtracted and some are to be added. When I get th the last column, (Total), I can't make it work.

So, I have 12 columns and I want column 13 to be a total of the rows across. Some columns in the row are added and some are subtracted.

I'm trying to do a self-taught course in excel at crunch time, and get this done so I can sleep some tonight also. We didn't use excel at work until about a week ago, when I was busy with personal dealings, and now I'm feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I've tried... ex: SUM=(A3,C3,E3)-(B3,D3.F3). Doesn't work.

Any quick ideas before I crash and suffer the consequences in the morning?

If I have a row 5, and want a total in cell G5....
I have to add in the contents from cells a5, c5, e5, f5...and subtract the contents of cells b5 and d5...how do I write the formula for cell G5 so that it will calculate right?

I'm going to be looking for an excel for dummies class nearby, but I don't think they are offering one tonight and especially before 9 am tomorrow morning.

I've read over all I've written and not even sure it makes sense. If you have any ideas, please post. I'm willing to try anything.

Sorry that I can't explain it better, but I have just begun trying to figure this out and I have to have a spreadsheet by tomorrow.

I'd better get back to it, but I'll be looking in to see if maybe Kimberley or Howie or some other of our computer guru's are still awake and online?

TIA,
Joan

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!