Help choosing a vine for covering a retaining wall

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Just made a retaining wall out of rock and stuco above my pond. Pluming runs below for the pond, so can not plant there . What will will work planted on top to cascade down the sides. Or do I need something other then a vine.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Dropmore Scarlet or Goldflame Honeysuckle can go down as well as up. They are deciduous, but can take your cold and come back. Aphids can be a problem Ortho Gro home defense if they are a problem.Picture of my Dropmore Scarlet.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2004 10:20 PM

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I used Fertilome Systemic Insecticide Granules (for sucking insects on ornamentals including roses) with great success. Work the granules into the soil and water well - - be sure to do this in the spring after the vines leaf out to prevent aphid infestation.

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

I have a setback block wall partially behind my pond and a cedar picket fence on a smaller part perpendicular near my waterfall. The wall is approximately 4.5' tall to the ground.

I have many vines because I like them, all kinds. If I had an idea of the height of your wall top down to plumbing, I would give you some ideas. I also use draping type ground covers over some of my walls.

Do you want flowering, just nice foliage, or both? There are so many possibilities for your wall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.