Hydrangea

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have the most beautiful Hydrangea. It has pretty pink flowers on it. I am going to get a picture of it later and post it here.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Been waiting to see the pic. I am very interested in hydrangeas at the moment. Do you just have one hydrangea? I have 3 right now and 3 more in the cuttings stage (that I am trying to root from trades). My hydrangeas are just getting ready to bloom and I can't wait to see them this year. Jenny

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Jenny, which ones do you have? I love hydrangeas, too.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Jenny -

Where's Woodville...I'm not familiar with it.

Hydrangea is my favorite plant/shrub. I hope HoniBee posts some pics soon, I've been impatiently waiting to see them. I'll have to share some cuttings with you later in the year...I usually do some light pruning in July to keep my hydrangea nicely shaped.

What varieties do you have? Below are some pics of my blooms this year.

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!!!

Tracey :)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sister Therese...white is my favorite and my garden is mostly white.

Thumbnail by tlschaefer
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Endless Summer

Thumbnail by tlschaefer
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Glowing Embers

Thumbnail by tlschaefer
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

More white.

Thumbnail by tlschaefer
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad to hear from other hydrangea lovers. Woodville is in East Texas midway between Lufkin and Beaumont. We are about 4 and a half hours south east of Dallas. I have an old fashioned blue hydrangea (from an old homeplace), two Forever Pinks, and a Teller Blue lacecap(some call it Blaumeise - not sure of spelling). Maybe later on when you are ready we can trade some cuttings. I have a few cuttings I am trying to root right now that I received in trade. They are Tokoyo Delight, Parsifal, and Red and Pretty. The Parsifal already has a leaf bud but the others aren't doing anything yet. I have two collections ordered from the hydrangea coop and can't wait to get them. The plants will just be rooted cuttings but they grow quickly and in two years will be great.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Tischaefer, I see you have Endless Summer. I'd really like to get a cutting of that. I have heard it is a great hydrangea. Does it really bloom and bloom like promised? Your Sister Therese looks beautiful too. What different kinds do you have besides these? When I get my collections I believe some will be doubles of the same kind. Maybe we can work out a trade? Jenny

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Jenny -

I just recently got my Endless Summer but I've heard great things about them and will be happy to share.

I also have Nikko Blue, Blue Star, Madame Emily Mouillier (another white), Alice Oak Leaf, PeeGee Grandiflora, Natchigall Purple Lacecap, Preziosa and some pinks/lavenders that I'm not sure what variety they are. My white varieties are my largest established shrubs. Many of my blue and pink varieties are in the cutting stage or are still small as I've only recently started bringing them into my white garden (couldn't resist not haven't them any longer). A few will be ready for cuttings (including Endless Summer) in July and I would love to trade.

Tracey

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Tracey, I would love to trade with you this summer. Save me a spot in your trade list for sure and I'll do the same for you. I don't know what it is but I really enjoy hydrangeas. Jenny

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree...they are just PERFECT! I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a yard full.

We'll definitely get some trades going as I'm a huge propopent of growing them so let's keep in touch.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I have Madame Emile Mouillier (which is my favorite bacause when each mophead matures, the very center "dot" turns blue), Penny Mac, Blue Wave (a lacecap), climbing hydrangea, varigated hydrangea, oak leaf, Endless Summer, Tardiva, Annabell, and Ayesha. I almost lost my Preziosa and PeeGee Grandiflora, but they look like they're coming back at the base (fingers crossed).

I'm looking for a dwarf oakleaf but don't know the name. Any help? Also, does the hydrangea coop have any of the minis? I spoke to Penny McHenry a few weeks ago (founder of the Hydrangea Society and overall wonderful person). She told me that soon there will be a Mini Penny out! Can't wait!! :-)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Pins!

I have about 40 Emile Mouillier that I just purchased through a wholesale supplier...they are very small 2nd year plants but I'm counting on them looking great next year! They are my favorite too since my garden is mostly white (if hydrangeas weren't so beautiful it would be).

I didn't know there was a dwarf oakleaf. Here is a link to the cultivar list for the coop.

http://nantuckethydrangea.com/HydrangeaCultivarList.html

I just sent an email last night asking if it was too late to order, but it probably isn't as the cutoff was said to be 05/15. I didn't see anything in the cultivar list labeled as dwarfs but if you know the names, maybe they are listed within the normal sized plants.

You have alot of great varieties! I've been thinking about getting a variegated, how do you like them? And "Mini Penny" is so cute I'm going to have to find one just so I can say it!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Tracey,

First of all, the Mini Penny isn't yet available. I'll let you know as soon as we can get it. I love the vaiegated! It's a lacecap and lots of people have a hard time getting them to bloom. It took mine about 3 years, but now it blooms all the time. I have 5 hydranges in a space by a brick wall that grows the climbing hydrangea. They only get morning sun and they just thrive.

Thanks for the link. I'll check to see what they have. I just don't have any more room for the large varieties. :(

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

I have two large Hydrangeas I will be move'g most likely the last of June as we are haveing to rebuild our front porch. Both are blue for me one is a heirloom and the other was pink when bought but is blue for me. Will be glad to share them.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh where, oh where may my honeybee's bee? Oh where oh whre should she'd gone? I am waiting as well honey! :)

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I have never grown a Hydrangea, can someone tell me what kind of sun or shade these require. I was given a cutting of Endless Summer, hope it roots. The lady who gave it to me said she puts on one side of the Hydrangea pennys in the soil and on the other side nails in the soil, she said her plants produced both colors pink and blue, has anyone tried this before? Cathy

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Cathy, I have a neighbor who grows beautiful blue hydrangeas. ratfink.. LOL LOL Anyway he also puts pennies and pieces of steel in the soil around the plant. But it doesn't work for me and I'm only across the street.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Pins,

There are two dwarf Oakleafs - 'Pee Wee' and 'Sikes'. I have heard that Pee Wee is a little better because it does not have the habit of falling over like Sikes does. I am actually trying my darndest to find Pee Wee locally, but having no luck. Only finding Sikes. I know Wayside Gardens has it, but they want quite a bit more than I want to pay.

I love hydrangeas too, but don't think I could handle more than a few when it gets so hot here in August and they are looking so bedraggled. I love the one Mophead that I have though and the beauty throughout the late spring and early summer makes up for it. :)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah! More hydrangea lovers...I wish they would give us our own forum.

We definitely need to get a swap going this Summer. Anyone have any idea how to organize it? I see people on the forums doing them all of the time.

Tracey

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Cathy -

I get blue the quickest by dissolving a tablespoon of Aluminum Sulfate in a gallon of water and watering them with it. I do this every 2 weeks for 3 applications (a total of six weeks). But you can do it longer depending on what color you want. Some people do this monthly all Spring and Summer.

You have to do this every year if you have soil that is alkaline. Also, start the process before they start to bloom.

My Endless Summer are doing very well in heavy shade but they can take a bit of sun. Below is a website on them.

http://www.endlesssummerblooms.com/CR_PressRoom.html

Good luck!

Tracey

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Where can I find Aluminum Sulfate? My hedrangeas are all in bud, but my Penny Mac blooms all summer long so it should be fun to see if the AS makes a difference.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Home Depot tells me they carry it but they always seem to be out. I would try one of the larger nurseries in your area. An organic gardening center near our houe tells me it is not organic and that organic nurseries won't carry it.

I should have mentioned above that the aluminum sulfate won't work if you use a high phosphours fertilizer...it keeps the stems from taking up the aluminum.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have become fond of hydrangeas lately. I had a variegated rooted cutting (from Calalily) that bloomed the next year and was lovely. Unfortunately, the cuttings I took didn't survive the winter in pots as I was moving from my old house.

I just planted 2 oakleaf, and another who's name I've promptly forgotten and I don't think it even had a tag.

The pH here averages 5.5 so I guess everything will be blue, LOL.

I REALLY want to learn more about hydrangeas. This should be a great spot for them... half shade to more shade.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

This is our favorite:) Hydrangea 'Big Smile (aka Sweet Chris)'
Hydrangea x

Thumbnail by Dea
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i got my endless summer last year - and yes it does bloom and bloom on new and old growth. i have mine in the sun with late afternoon shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.