Resurrection of a Terrarium

Northern California, CA

I've had this terrarium since the beginning of time it seems. It's been languishing in the garden shed for the last six years since we built this house. With a good sudsy bath and some new plantings, it has a new lease on life. It's 19" long x 11" high and has little "feet" molded in the glass.

Planted with Dwarf English Ivy, Hernieria, Corsican Mint, Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Torulosa', and one unknown on the far right.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

You know I have one like that, but it looks like a pig, mind if I copy yours?

nina

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow that brings back memories. I used to have one on my coffee table and another arrowhead bottle with plants in the kitchen. I haven't had that type of terrarium in years. It is lovely.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Very nice...you always have the most unique & interesting photos..:>)

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

I actually have an unused terrarium I bought at a yard sale. Do you think I could plant herbs in it in a "seeding soil". Since the weather here us usually on the HOT side, seems like the air conditioner is always on, will it be too cold for herbs in the house in such an environment? So much to learn. Since I discovered Dave's Garden I want to quit work and just play in the dirt.

Sparks, NV(Zone 6a)

What are everyone's thoughts on using a 5 gallon, plastic, blue tinted bottled water bottle for a terrarium? Will the blue tinting filter out any needed ultra violet rays?

Thanks.

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

What a fun idea! I don't know about hte UV rays, but I may have to try it anyway.

The local water delivery guy is pretty good about bringing "damaged" water bottles that can't be reused. I was able to talk him out of one for a penny jar.

A "blue" terrarium sounds like an interesting experiment.

Lori

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Remember those 1970's spherical terrariums with the hourglass-shaped stands? My grandma had one of them and I was fascinated by it. Hers was kind of like this one listed on eBay, only hers was a sphere: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42153&item=4317147263&rd=1

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I found a thumbnail using Google's image search...The full-size is no longer available. This is what hers was:

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Wowow Happen that is just SOOO pretty :) I would LOVE to try a bottle garden some day :)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Happenstance,

I have the same bottle which I used decades ago as a terrarium. I had several different peperomias and baby tears in it. They thrived until it got too humid and things began to rot. I've been meaning to break it out one of these years and try it again. Yours is an inspiration.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's beautiful, Hap. I'm glad someone bumped it. How's the terrarium doing? I would like to start one, maybe using an old 10g aquarium (unless I find a cool bottle like that somewhere). I did one before, years ago before I'd learned much about plants; I don't think it was ventilated well enough and the plants got fungus and died.

The big plus of this kind of garden is my cats can't get to the plants to chew the leaves!

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh man I love your bottle garden Happenstance! What a cool idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.